Ballet Talk for Dancers
bobbypinfinder

Financial cutbacks, shortened seasons, auditions cancelled

sgmca

Heard about Metropolitan last night. So sad...

mirabray

dbleon Sacramento Ballet seen to have a least a plan that help them this year. A happy ending to the problems.

Beautiful Disaster
I wasn't aware of Miami City Ballet's troubles and came across this article in the Miami Herald:

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/miami-dade...ory/844312.html

Miami has been in trouble for years. They created these beautiful studios years ago and continued expanding and running their resources dry. Eventually Villella from what I understand had to turn over the studios to the city of Miami, now he pays them rent.

They also went through quite a bit of drama when Illiana left to work for a new up and coming company.

However, these aren't from news articles, the state of the company has been a problem for years.

Most companies are feeling the pressure though, We should have seen it coming though - when most of the smaller ballets were folding right before the recession (Including Ballet Internationale). I don't know what company isn't having to cut back, including another large company I wont name. My friend lost her job and the artistic director is her own father. If he can't save her job who can? Everyone is vulnerable.

I know last year numerous companies who held auditions didn't hire many new dancers and I don't know if this coming spring will be any better. All we can do is pray (and perhaps apply for college in the process as a back up).

Zinnia

I hope Colorado Ballet can rebound. A lot of regional companies are just held together by a few diehard donors and board members who are also struggling in these economic times.

MJ
In addition, more companies are using taped music instead of a live orchestra. Stagehands, Crew, and Musicians typically account for 60-80% of performance costs.

Texas Ballet Theater has come under fire for deciding to use recorded music for this season, which has been difficult for them financially.

Story here

Pro musicians make more than dancers, and have very powerful unions.

Tough times for everyone.

Zinnia

Ugh. Taped music is just not the same. Had no idea that the stage crew and musicians were so much of the overall cost.

MJ

Wonder why Mr. B used a bare stage and minimal costumes? Stagehands and costumers are expensive people as well.