Ballet Talk for Dancers
bobbypinfinder

Financial cutbacks, shortened seasons, auditions cancelled

studioj

From the NY Times: "City Ballet has let go 11 members of the corps to help confront the same economic woes that have afflicted most performing arts institutions amid the recession."

City Ballet Cuts Corps as Deficit Widens

UUDance

Nevada Ballet Theatre has laid off at least ten of their dancers this week. The layoffs come after the company received great reviews for an all Balanchine show last month. The dancers are just now returning from a four week unpaid layoff (company class starts again on Monday). Dancers were told they could not complete the season and that only dancers performing in the April and May shows would be kept on. Particularly poor timing for these very low paid dancers who could have been auditioning for the last four weeks but assumed that their jobs were safe and that they would be paid through the end of their contracts in mid-May. :thumbsup:

*post was made invisible until a link was found confirming the cutbacks, the link has been provided below

Momof3darlings
Momof3darlings

I've added UUDance's post back as I told her I would after we found a link confirming the cutbacks at NBT.

dnznqueen

I find it very interesting that these NBT cutbacks are announced after their performances this month were...featuring principals from NYCB...hmmm :lol:

Momof3darlings

There will be alot of oddities in trying to track cutbacks and what happens as a result of them. It is important for those people reading the long list of cutbacks to remember that these cutbacks all appear to be in an effort to save the company longterm. Although that doesn't make any of us feel better, it is important to remember. We all do want these companies to be here for years to come and not fold into oblivion.

It is important for those reading and having desires to audition for any of these companies to keep things in perspective. Some companies who had cutbacks over the last two years did in fact still hire new hires as weird as that sounds. Sometimes, just as in the corporate sector, the cutbacks make room in a different fashion. Again, weird I know.

It is a VERY tough time for Arts non-profits. It is one thing to lose a group of ticket holders or individual donors. It is quite another to lose the larger donors to the degree some have recently and after budgets based on those promises.

BalletK

dnznqueen - I wonder if they have scheduled the Principal's of NYCB in an effort to boost ticket sales. You know that old cliché, "you have to spend money to make money"?

studioj

Oregon Ballet to cut budget by 28 percent

"Cuts will come from across-the-board salary reductions, consolidation of jobs, and layoffs. The number of full-time dancers will dip from 28 to 25."

This quote from the article parallels Momof3darlings thinking in post above:

"Leaner could be meaner. You learn lessons from times like this. It will make them stronger. Somewhere down the line they will grow back, and they'll be fortunate that they have made these cuts and not gone under."

balletbooster

At the risk of capitalizing on the misfortune of others, I will alert this group to the fact that Nevada Ballet Theater's website has an offering of pointe shoes that were purchased for their company members that offers some excellent bargains. Perhaps it is better to view this as an opportunity to support the company by making a purchase! :yes:

Momof3darlings

Balletbooster, I"m not seeing that on the website, possibly you could tell us where on the website you found it?

balletbooster

Ooops! :yes: Meant to say they were posted on eBay. We don't allow links to eBay items and we don't allow our members to post when they have something to sell. But, I just thought it might be a good alert for those who like to hunt for bargains and help out the dance world at the same time!