Ballet Talk for Dancers
bobbypinfinder

Financial cutbacks, shortened seasons, auditions cancelled

mirabray

Well since most ballet companies use freeds I narrow it down to the seller name. stitchergirl222

l2daisygirl
:yes: (i got 11 pair)

studioj

Washington Post article "Dancers Face a Tough Time to Land on Their Feet"

A recap of many of the things we've been reading all season.

Interesting statistics on SAB placement I hadn't seen before. So even though NYCB dancers had been laid off, it sounds like new apprenticeships will be offered.

I understand the reality but I'm sad that some are giving up... I think the path just may be less traditional, more convoluted, for this year's young dancers.

Swanilda

I also think it's sad, and very surprising, especially when you are talking about a dancer fresh from high school who is offered an apprenticeship with a decent company-- and feeling like that isn't enough to continue. I wonder what exactly she was expecting?

Momof3darlings

I believe many young dancers when in the middle of the consideration phase make the decision that they must be guaranteed some pay weekly/monthly or it is not worth it to them to continue and give up college scholarships for. While not everyone's choice and a tough one to make especially in today's times, I applaud them for having the courage to make a decision for themselves what is acceptable on their own terms.

The only thing I see differently this year is that a few dancers who may have been able to skip the "pay for performance" or "$100 a week pay" may be looking at just that. It is important though that teachers and parents understand that what a "start in ballet" was when the dancer first took Pre-Ballet may not be the route into a company when the dancer graduates. It's important to keep current on expectations both in good and bad economies.

Swanhilda--your mail box is full. I tried to pm you some info.

Spiritfire

The Washington Post article laid out what many of us know is the reality this year. The financial impact of the current economy on the arts is not over yet, and may make the next audition season as difficult, if not moreso, as those with current apprenticeships compete with new graduates and laid off dancers.

It would be a wonderful service if ballet studios could have frank conversations with thier students and parents. Not being hired or offered a trainee position does not mean the dancer is not a wonderful dancer and could be an asset to a company. it means that there is a glut of dancers in a very tight market.

I hope that this might lead to a creative dance endeavors with unique funding. Several years ago Julliard announced that 100% of that year's graduating class had jobs. Yes they did. Some with established companies. But others had jobs in newly created companies formed by their peers. I don't know what kind of funding they had for these opportunities, and if they are in existence today, but there may be some ways to do it. The Columbia Ballet Cooperative comes to mind in this regard. This does not mean that there is a livable salary. It means that for a few, dancing is worth the sacrifice. And for others, the sacrifice is realizing that one has lived the dream of training and performing at their amazing schools and now ti is time to for other dreams to develop and come to fruition.

Momof3darlings

Absolutely spiritfire! I attended a local student company's Spring performance just yesterday. The company is sponsored by a local arts association. The director of the Arts Association gave the amounts that they were in deficit for this year even after major cuts, with no major cuts being given to the children's programs as of yet. However, she said if things remained as they were today (same donors left, etc) the deficit for next year could be triple what it was now if they are to keep programming, including the children's programs in place. This because being an arts program with more than one entity to fund and concerts already scheduled, booked and deposits paid for could be quite frightening.

This small student company budget and it's donors don't touch what is needed for a professional company needing to secure contracts and staff.

2marzipans

Some dancers aren't turning down trainee or apprentice positions because they don't want them. They're turning them down because they and their parents can't afford for them to take them. You can't say anymore, "I'll just get a part-time job." It can take months to find one, and then if your dancer is lucky, it can be fit into the class and performance schedule. Being paid per performance and getting pointe shoes are drops in the bucket for living expenses. Speaking from our own experience, many parents just don't have the extra money at this time to finance a trainee or apprentice position for their son or daughter. It's sad and frustrating.

Momof3darlings

You are so right 2marzipans!

Swanilda

PM box cleared out! Really interesting posts-- I didn't realize that the part time job situation was so rough right now. I wonder if this will start an eventual trend to less trainee/apprentice positions being given (which could grow into a positive thing of the majority of these being hired into the main company)? At least that could be a silver lining of the clouds?

Momof3darlings

That would be nice now wouldn't it Swanilda!!! More dancers working their way into the company is certainly a good thing!

One thing to remember for those having to look at the Part Time Jobs, and thinking it might be a tough time to find one, many companies will help you with a little info by telling you of donor or school families who have businesses that traditionally hire company dancers at workers. While no one will hold your hand to get you the job, it at least will give you some places that are dancer friendly and possibly hiring.

cmtaka

Looks like Orlando Ballet is making a lot of changes, shortened season and reshuffling the dancers.

Orlando Ballet News