Ballet Talk for Dancers
dancepig

What Ballet Flats is everyone using - and why do you like them?

dancepig

This might seem like a silly question, but I have to purchase a new pair of flats. I have been using my "old stock" for the past year and it is now time to actually purchase some new shoes. However, things have changed! I started out by calling my local vender, and didn't have a clue as to what she was talking about, so looked up the shoes on the internet (Discount Dance, Dance Distributors) and still find there are a lot of new styles and manufacturers that leave me a bit confused. So - would you mind sharing what you're using, and if you like them, telling me why? Thank you!

Claude_Catastrophique

I have Bloch Pro Arche. I used to dance in full sole shoes my whole life and they did not give me the chance to show my nice feet off (the only part of my body that would be perfect for ballet). I am getting older and unfortunately hardly any better so I thought I have to do something to put the focus on good things I have: My feet. I decided to buy a pair of split sole flats that flatter my feet. I went to the Bloch shop in London and the Pro Arches were perfect for my feet. I can work much better in them than in the full soles. I was always convinced that full soles would work your feet better and strenghten them. I was so wrong: Since I have the new shoes, I can use the full range of motion in my feet. The lines in my leg is much better now.

Anyway, I love the shoe because they don't have this stupid ribbon you have to pull so that the shoe fits. I hated this little loop on top of the shoe you ahd to hide inside (I could feel it and it was disturbing). They don't have that. Then, they already have two elastics sewn own but you have to sew the other end to the shoes. Makes a little less work and they are criss crossed (and I LOVE that).

They are not simple split soles, they have a net under the arche, which is able to crunch to nothing, when you pointe your foot. When I stand in them on the floor, I can see the back wall under my arche because they fit so good.

You see, I love the shoes :wub:

blaise

I love my canvas Sansha Pros and will most likely wear them until my dying day. I also wear leather Bloch Pumps if I'm dancing on an exceedingly slippery floor but they have a very high vamp and not everyone is a fan of that. I used to wear the leather Bloch Prolite II Hybrid but the vamp cut into my foot in a weird way so I got the higher vamped Pump and they're more comfortable even if they do look a little sock-like. The Prolites were way prettier though. I briefly wore canvas split sole Capezios but they were oddly rectangular.

MJ

Bloch splitsole canvas. I have some Fuzi Canvas, but the heel has too little fabric and they fall off when I pirouette. The Fuzi tan more closely matches my pasty complexion than the Bloch.

Sanshas have improved over the years, but still reflect poor craftsmanship, IMHO.

Pro-Arche sounds interesting, I've seen some dancers wear them. A French dancer in my company has French canvas split soles that have asymmetrical elastics, no idea who makes them.

Cheers,

tangerinetwist

Bloch PUMP. Love the added padding in just the heel and no lump under the toes. Wish I could wear canvas, but capsulitis from the past creeps up in my second metatarsal every so often so I need to have a little more between me and the floor.

shulie

Grishko Performance. Fit like a glove, have a comfy built in heel pad and form no nasty bumps under your feet. Last long, too.

xSugarplum

I wear Grishko Ultimate now (the only difference with the Grishko Performance is that the Performance has an elastic across the arch to supposedly hug it better, but I tried them and for me it made no difference, so I went with the shoe that had the least excess material at the bottom). I used to wear Sanshas, but always got a hole at the big toe area- that's not happening with these Grishkos. I also prefer the V-cut vamp, even on flat shoes, and in general they seem a bit thinner yet sturdier than my old Sanshas. The one downside on the Grishkos that I did not have on the Sanshas, is that there was a lot of excess fabric at the end of the shoe in the insole area (inside), and it kept getting caught under my big toe, and that was painful. I turned the shoe inside out and cut out the excess fabric and had no further issues- could have been a bad pair. The sole IS stitched, but it actually feels flatter than the Sansha sole (which was always lumpy for me) and it hasn't come unsewn or anything. They're double-stitched anyway so I wouldn't worry about that.

I tried the Bloch slippers, and the only note I would make on those is that the vamps are extremely high compared to Sanshas and Grishkos. They looked awful on me but many people like them...so just watch out if you have short toes!

dancepig

Thank you everyone! This helps quite a bit. I guess I'll order several styles and see what works for me. I think my local vendor said she had the pump and the Grishko's (but not sure if she had my size - which is another issue), but they don't weigh too much, so if I order some from the online stores and have to send them back it won't be too much postage (which is getting quite high lately). Again, thank you all, I really appreciate your responses!

dancingjet

I'm currently wearing Grishko Ultimates as well and am pretty happy with them. I wore through the last two pairs of Capezio Juliets quickly, so I was ready to try something different. I like the v shape of these. While I was ordering I got a pair of Bloch Pumps too, but I haven't tried them yet. The first shoes I ever got were Sanshas and I really don't like them. They bunch up under my toes and are uncomfortable (for me).

Reebs511

I also wear the Bloch Pro Arch and love them. As others noted, they have a high vamp which works for my extra-long toes, but it's not right for everyone I've also tried one of the Sansha split-sole canvas shoes, but didn't like the elastic drawstring - it cut into my heel.

dancepig

This has all been so helpful! I placed an order with my local vendor (who, although local is over an hour away, so I had her mail them), for the Bloch Pump. I also placed an order with Discount Dance for the Bloch Pro Arch, Bloch Pro Elastic and the Grishko Ultimate (my local vendor didn't have this in my size). Discount Dance has a $5 coupon in the current issue of Pointe Magazine so I used that. I also placed an order with Dance Distributors for the Angelo Luzio Total Stretch Canvas Ballet Shoe. I saw an ad for these in the Pointe Magazine and they look like they might work. My only problem is I had to order them from Dance Distributors - who have not shown me a prompt response in shipping! I had to cancel a previous order I placed in November with them because they never shipped the order (I canceled it in late December). I know this seems like a lot of shoes, but I'll just find the best pair and send the rest back. I have Morton's Neuroma in my right foot, so finding a pair of shoes that work is very important. I can't manage too much material under my right foot, it causes problems and I can't function with a shoe that is too narrow for that foot. I'll let you know how this goes. Thanks again for the reviews!

dancepig

Ack! Seems I also ordered (from my local vendor) a pair of Leos Airabesque Leather shoes, I just remembered because they just arrived. :shrug: Unfortunately one shoe is full of holes? :yes: I ordered these because I've used them in the past and they seemed to work okay for me. I like the lycra type fabric around the heel. However, don't want Holy Shoes! hmmmm.... Time to call the dancewear shop.....

Reebs511

Holy shoes, Batman!

Don't look at them as holy, think of them as "ventilated." :D

dancepig
:D I did call the store, and spoke to the owner, who seemed to know they shipped me shoes that had holes in them??? I asked if they had the same shoe, in the same size, and she said yes. I asked if they would please ship me a pair of the shoes that I had requested, sans holes. She said yes - I then promptly repackaged the shoes with the holes in them and sent them back. While doing this, I made a copy of the receipt, to include in the package, and I noticed on the receipt it said "holes". Okay, and people want to know why we don't patronize our local stores?????? ACK!

La_Bailarina

I live in my canvas Sanshas because, well, I'm a poor college student and you can't get much cheaper than these! They look fine enough on my feet, my feet haven't ever really needed too much help in that regard. I know some people find the sole to be lumpy but it doesn't really bother me. I also found that they last me a relatively long time. I used to wear Grishko canvas flats because that's what a local store always had in stock and they would get full of holes pretty fast--and they weren't even little holes, they were big gaping holes that were in part the canvas ripping off from the sole. If I'm dancing on a particularly slippery floor, I do have a pair of the leather Bloch Prolite IIs that I'll wear. I grew up wearing these but have always found that the drawstring tends to unstitch and the seam in the canvas insert under the arch will sometimes split.