Ballet Talk for Dancers
dancepig

What Ballet Flats is everyone using - and why do you like them?

Laschwen

I am currently rotating a few different kinds of shoes:

I have a stretch leather Capezio style in Black. I can't recall the name of it and somehow can't find it in any of several catalogs I have on hand. It may be discontinued??? but I do like the fit. The color came off the toes after one class with a lunge, so that is why they may not be around. I took a sharpie to the toes and they are fine.

They are flattering to shallow feet too. This style only came in whole sizes and the medium width fit my narrow foot in a size down (11) from what I wear in street shoes. I tried a 12 M too, and they made my foot look sickled, so I sent them back.

I like my Capezio Juliets the best with my current inserts. I like both the leather and the canvas. There is room for widespread square toes in these too.

I have some Grishko too...the performance series. They have a nice sleek fit for a narrow foot with short toes. It is the shortest vamp I found, and it is V shaped. I find it flattering to my feet. I didn't like the "Ultimates" with the under arch elastic. It is supposed to flatter the arch more but just makes lumps if you ask me.

I had some Russian Pointes with a pretty short V vamp too, but when I got a second pair to fit my longer foot, they sent a U shape vamp. Oops. Not as pretty!

I have a lot of shoes in various sizes and widths now. It is handy for one who changes her mind about how much of an insert she needs depending on how the feet feel. I can leave inserts glued in and pick shoes according to what is in them, and pick leather or canvas depending on which studio I am in and how sticky the floors are too.

missvjc420

I have the Freeform- and hate it- it has so many seams and you can feel every one! The fabric used is scratchy as well. I don't recommend them. It was an expensive mistake for flats.

dancepig

I have now worn the Free Form (Capezio) for the past two nights. I didn't have a problem with feeling the seams, perhaps because I wear tights (convertible) in my shoes. I wear a size 8 street shoe and bought a size 10 in this shoe (I need to wear my flat shoes on the larger size). I had to use the strap that is sewn on the shoe because they were not tight enough for me to go without the strap (this shoe comes with a strap sewn on it that you can place in the back or wear across the top of the foot as with other flat shoes). And, this was the first time at both studios that the teachers did NOT tell me to POINT my foot. With all other shoes, I've been given constant correction to point. I have always thought I was pointing my feet and that the shoes (the shoes that were curling up at the end) were making my feet look like they were not pointing. I would not recommend these shoes for anyone with a square foot, they are very tapered. I really like the mesh under the arch. There is a strange amount of padding on the heel, and I'm not sure as to how long the padding will stay before it goes flat. It does make you aware if you're on your heel too much, and that can be a good thing.

Blackswans
I have some Grishko too...the performance series. They have a nice sleek fit for a narrow foot with short toes. It is the shortest vamp I found, and it is V shaped. I find it flattering to my feet. I didn't like the "Ultimates" with the under arch elastic. It is supposed to flatter the arch more but just makes lumps if you ask me.

Actually...the Performance Grishkos are the ones with the elastic insert in the arch. The Ultimates don't have anything under the arch, they're a normal split-sole canvas slipper. I would venture those are the ones you actually have, if yours don't have an elastic in the arch. Probably good to know if you plan on ordering them again. ;)

http://www.tutu.com/dwear_balletsh.html

Discount Dance has a similar description, as well.

Edited by Blackswans

niupartyangel

Does anybody have suggestions on what a beginner should wear? I am only going to my 4th class today (open adult beginner which is 1 level up than "basic beginner" which is for ppl w/ no ballet experience whatsoever)...i am embarrassed to admit that I am currently using payless ballet shoes :) . Right now it's ok but I think I'm ready to upgrade since i'm pretty sure I'd be sticking with ballet for awhile. I also want to get a split sole shoe.

I ordered my dance clothes online but I was worried that I'll order the wrong size shoe so I didn't buy from there. I was pleasantly surprised to find a "hidden" dance shop across the street from my office (it was in an office building, no store front) so I will buy from there. Any suggestions on what brand/model to look into and what questions to ask?

dancepig

All I can say is to check with your teacher, he/she might have an opinion, if your teacher doesn't have an opinion, check with someone in the store, they might be able to help you, if that doesn't work, just try everything on that you can and look for a nice close-to-the-foot fit. If the store has a hardwood or marley floor, you might take the shoes out for a spin. Some times a shoe might feel as though it fits but when you go to make turns or do a balance you get a different opinion of the shoe. Congrats to starting ballet, and nice going on finding the store! Let us know how you do.

north

My two DD's have low arches, wide forefeet and narrow heels-a curse when trying to buy any kind of ballet slippers or pointe shoes! They like Wear Moi stretch canvas, nice because the elastic is pre-sewn for those lazy dancers, and Bloch Neo-Hybrids, which are neoprene under the arch extending to the heel. They are split soles and hug the arch and create a little resistance to work the feet.

Their favorites, however, are a huge splurge, and those are the Degas stretch canvas slippers. They are light, conform well, have nice padding inside. The leather on the soles is very nice, and is good quality for turns. Despite how light they are, they are extremely durable. My daughters each have pairs from last summer, PRE-Camp, and they still wear them. They stretch a lot, there are ZERO holes, they are good if you have issues with narrow feet, or wide feet with narrow heels, as the fabric never bunches up. I gave each dd a pair as a little camp going away present, and they would repeatedly thank me for them when I spoke to them on the phone! I ordered these from the web site. American street shoe 9-9.5 was size 18. Street shoe size 6 was a size 12 in Degas. Weird sizing, but great little $$ shoes!

dancepig
Degas stretch canvas slippers. They are light, conform well, have nice padding inside. The leather on the soles is very nice, and is good quality for turns. Despite how light they are, they are extremely durable
Oh - these sound nice! Where did you get them online?

north

Degas USA website. Enter site, click on "ballet slippers" in upper left hand corner. They are called "1/2 point". Be prepared for sticker shock, however!

dancepig

Thanks for the warning on the sticker shock! For those curious of you that want to know, they are $55!! plus shipping. I guess if they lasted twice as long as a regular shoe, it might be worth it, but since I have so many shoes right now, I think I'll wait until I've worn out a few of these. However, they look VERY nice, especially since they have no seams? How did they do that?

Thanks for the info (I think) :lol:

Laschwen

My memory for which is which has obviously gone south for winter. I ordered from NY Dancewear and just asked for Grishko. I never knew there were 2 kinds until a re-order came in and the shoes were different.

And :grinning: that was a sticker shock on the degas flats! I was gearing up for something in the $40 range. My mouth fell open for real.

I was liking the idea of stretch canvas. When I pointe my foot there is an empty lump at the end of my shoes on top of the toe area in most shoes. The stretch leather ones I have do it the least, but they do have a nice shallow profile.

Their leotards are lovely too, but 80 or $90 bucks......Ouch. I don't think I have gone that far except for some custom cut items. It is probably a good thing that their sizes don't go up to my size for shoes or leotards.

dancepig

Yep, sticker shock. If you're looking for stretch canvas, the Angelo Luiz had stretch canvas. I personally didn't like how the inside of the shoe was not finished as completely as the Blochs or the others (Grishko, Leo, etc), but it might not bother you, or it might have just been that one particular pair was worse than other pairs. I wasn't particularly impressed with the expensive leos, don't know why they are so expensive, but since they didn't wow me, doesn't matter. And, I like a 3/4 sleeve leo, they didn't have any of those, so the point was moot. It is an expensive dancewear site!

Anna

I used to wear Capezio Teknik full sole in leather. Well I went to buy them at the local dance shop and they didn't have them in my size. The saleslady had me try on So Danca with a split sole in leather and I love them! They have the criss cross elastic already sewn on and they fit amazing. :wacko:

Edited by Redbookish

gimpydancer

I've put a search for new shoes on hold as my teacher likes my old So Dancas on me. Fortunately our local dance store carries them. I tried on an old pair of Bloch leather flats that I forgot I had and they fit well in the forefoot but are baggy in the heel.

Anna - the leather So Dancas sound nice, I may have to try them sometime.

North - your dd's and I seem to have the same kind of feet! There are some more options for me to try too.