Ballet Talk for Dancers
dancepig

What Ballet Flats is everyone using - and why do you like them?

ballerinerose

I used to wear Grisko Performance, but recently decided to switch them and i got Russian Pointe's canvas split-sole. I looooooooooooooooooooove them!! :( They are so great because you can get different length vamps and widths, which is great for me because i have extremely narrow feet.

namaste08

I love the Bloch Neo Hybrids. Stretchy heal hugs comfortably and I barely even need elastic. Also the flannel lining is sewn like a split sole, and stays very secure. After years in canvas Sanshas, someone had me try the hybrids...comfy heaven!

annietoes

This thread has been most instructive as I've searched for new slippers.

Current shoes are Capezio Juliets (leather). I have a narrow foot, a low arch, low instep, low profile, and tapered toes. I was previously wearing the Bloch leather split-soles with the canvas insert. The insert bunched up and really obscured what little arch I have - the Juliets solved that problem. However, the Juliets are a hideous color (especially next to pink tights - they look dirty) and have a freakishly long vamp.

So for my next pair, I wanted:

-- a shorter vamp

-- a pinker shoe

-- maximum arch flattery

-- no weird floppiness above my little toe

Close calls: canvas Juliets (I liked the shape, but the lightweight canvas was wrinkly on me - not the glove-fit of the leather Juliets); Angelo Luzio stretch canvas (thicker and smoother than the canvas Juliets - I had worn these previously and liked them, but now I notice that the outer sole under the ball of my foot pops out when I point my toe, and this doesn't flatter my arch); Bloch Pro-Elastic (these were very good in every respect, except the elastic 'binding' and the criss-cross elastic were so tight that it gave me a 'muffin top' on my foot! and I do not have pudgy feet. It was bizarre. I even went up a width and it didn't help). Also tried Grishko Performance (with the elastic under the arch) - instead of hugging my arch, it actually did not conform to my arch at all - maybe going up in size would have helped, but I was already sold on....

The Bloch Pro-Arch! An absolute champion shoe. It doesn't have a drawstring, like the Pro-Elastic, but it doesn't have that wide band of elastic that was squeezing the life out of my foot either. Win-win. Also the mesh underneath the arch 'crunches to nothing,' just like the OP noted. I wear a 6 street shoe and I got a 3.0 B - it's perfect. The vamp is shorter than every other shoe I tried. And, as a bonus, the inside of the shoe is totally flat and smooth - none of that weird stuff you end up ripping out of Sanshas.

Can't wait to wear them in class...

MBF

I just ordered my DD some Neo Hybrids so I am glad to hear the excellent reviews. She had to switch to leather flats for her summer program and thought she would hate being in leather but loves them. She has been wearing Sansha's but after seeing some girls with Neo Hybrids at her SI she asked for a pair when her Sansha's wore out.

luceroblanco

I have canvas Sansha Pros. I LOVE them. I used to wear a Bloch leather full sole, which I don't even think they make anymore. I recently switched to this canvas shoe and I love it. It feels like I'm wearing nothing and it is a lot easier to turn. In my current studio I was having problems with the leather shoes sticking on turns.

missvjc420

Really? I used those in my teens, but the lumps really kill my feet now. I like Russian pointes full sole canvas and the Eva asymmetrical split soles. I plan to try a few of the stretch canvas shoes and really like deshanked pointes the best. I would love to find a pair of flats with pointe shoe soles.

luceroblanco

I think compared to a full sole leather shoe, any canvas shoe is going to feel much lighter, and definitely with the split sole.I feel like I'm dancing in socks. I noticed the lumps in the Sansha under the toe/ball of the foot when I took them home and tried them on and I was worried, but amazingly I don't feel anything when I wear them in class. I do wear tights and maybe that has something to do with it. But it is an incredible difference from the leather full sole.

Lyndee

I'm a new beginner and I wear Bloch's "Dansoft" Ballet Slipper. it's a leather full-sole shoe. I might also get a canvas split-sole shoe to see the difference and what I prefer to dance in, but since I'm so new to ballet I really don't know what works for me or what I should look for in a shoe. :cool2:

dancepig

When I'm looking for a new shoe, fit is the most important thing. I have wide tapered feet, and most shoes flip up at the ends of the toes if they are not tapered enough. Then I look for a finished inside. Many of the shoes nowadays are not finished inside and, for me, this creates a lot of lumps and bumps which my feet do not like. Also the arch. I have a high arch and instep and I like the split sole because they seem to conform to my arch better. Also the vamp, I like a shorter vamp in a flat shoe (medium vamp in a pointe shoe). Then, where the bottom sole and pleats hit my feet is important, and finally the heel, is it baggy or too low or too high or too wide? If I ever find a shoe that fills all of the above, I think I'll by a case of them!

MJ

I like Fuzis, but the back heel keeps slipping off, a little more material back there would help!

Sharon B

I am still looking for the "ideal" flat shoe....I prefer canvas but they all seem to stretch out after a couple of months. I have used Sancha, Bloch, and Capezio and would love to hear what others use and why.....

macropis
I am still looking for the "ideal" flat shoe....I prefer canvas but they all seem to stretch out after a couple of months. I have used Sancha, Bloch, and Capezio and would love to hear what others use and why.....

I wear Capezio Juliets in leather. I have not really tried many others. I like the color of them (they match my skin tone), they fit very sleek on my feet, and I know what size I need to order. If I start trying other brands I will end up shipping shoes back that don't fit, because they are all sized differently. There is no store that sells adult ballet slippers anywhere near me.

I order them from Discount Dance, but someone recently told me they found them at a better price on Amazon.

One thing I like about Discount Dance is that each product has customer reviews. If the sizes run large or small, there will be customer comments.

dancepig

If you're looking for a good canvas flat shoe, you might want to check out the Russian Pointe Canvas Flat Shoe. As for the stretching, I found these have the least amount of stretching after wearing problem. I found Grishko to be the worst offenders of the stretching after wearing problem.

missvjc420

I agree on the RP flats. I just sewed my 2nd pair for class this week. My first ones lasted a long time, I 'm finally retiring them because some of the stitching feels funny now by the pleats. They still fit like they did when I bought them. Now if I could order them with pointe shoe soles....

Tiffany

Ok I did not read this entire thread so I apologize if I am restating what has already been said. I do not like Sansha unisex #1 pro canvas because when I tie the elastics in a knot & push under the vamp-where the knot is digs into my foot (maybe my foot is weird??) and hurts. I think I will sew some felt over it & see if it helps. This does not happen in my Bloch canvas shoes (sorry, I'm not sure which model).