Ballet Talk for Dancers
dancepig

What Ballet Flats is everyone using - and why do you like them?

TallGuy

Hi Tiffany,

I too have the canvas Sansha Pro #1 flats. I love them, because fit my feet nicely and the LAST!

Regarding the elastics on the shoe: I emailed sansha once to ask what one is supposed to do with the elastics that run round the edge. The answer was that you are supposed to put the slippers on, pull the elastics as tight as desired, tie a proper knot and then cut the remaining bits off. The knot then sits nicely out of the way on top of your foot. When you take the slippers off they will of course bunch up as the elastic contracts, but they fit properly again when you put them on. Just make sure you tie that knot good and tight, because you wont be able to redo it if the knot comes loose!

Cheers

TallGuy

got2tap

I wear Bloch Pro Elastic. I previously wore Bloch Pumps and Wear Moi flats. I never realized how good my feet can look in flat shoes until I bought the Pro Elastics. They are pretty tight and fitted to your foot, but feel nice. It's really cool that they are different than most flat shoes, but still look almost the same. I love the fact that there is no drawstring too :grinning:

Tiffany

Thx Tallguy. I think my problem with those shoes is that where the elastic drawstring knot hits my foot, my foot is maybe a little too high profiled for it, and it digs in and hurts. In my other ballet slippers made by Bloch, this does not happen. I do agree, Sansha #1 Pro's are long lasting shoes!

appleblossom

I wear Paul Wrights, they have a nicer shape for the wide bridge of my foot and long toes yet dont bag out at my narrow heel like the Blochs do. (and they're a nice colour too)

(I can't believe I spelt Bloch wrong the first time, I must've been so tired when I first wrote this post)

dancepig

I've never heard of Paul Wrights, where do yo get them?

appleblossom

Paul wright is at www.dancepacific.com I'm not 100% sure on the whole history of it, there is a bit on Ms DeVor's website about Paul Wright pointe shoes.

But I just discovered an Australian shoe maker called Steve Webster - Who was trained by Paul Wright back when they were based in Queensland Australia, they're now done in Indonesia I think. This other company Thomas Jazz (google it or ebay user aussiedanceshoez) can custom make them. Whoo Hoo. Perhaps a change in flats for me. (they're having an ebay sale at the moment and it's cheap cheap cheap)

http://www.thomasjazzballet.com.au/About-Us.php

Am I allowed to put links here? I forget.

dancepig

Oh - that's very interesting! Thank you for that information. They are a bit pricey, especially if you're not in Australia and have to pay for international shipping, but they look like beautiful shoes. :wub:

ballerinerose

I switched to Bloch Neo Hybrids over the summer and I LOVE them!! They are so incredible! I would definately recommend them to everyone.

ballerinerose

Oops!! I'm not an adult! Sorry... :wub:

missvjc420
Paul wright is at www.dancepacific.com I'm not 100% sure on the whole history of it, there is a bit on Ms DeVor's website about Paul Wright pointe shoes.

But I just discovered an Australian shoe maker called Steve Webster - Who was trained by Paul Wright back when they were based in Queensland Australia, they're now done in Indonesia I think. This other company Thomas Jazz (google it or ebay user aussiedanceshoez) can custom make them. Whoo Hoo. Perhaps a change in flats for me. (they're having an ebay sale at the moment and it's cheap cheap cheap)

http://www.thomasjazzballet.com.au/About-Us.php

Am I allowed to put links here? I forget.

I like that they make full soled canvas shoes- I can only get 1 kind here like that. I also think prices are in AUS$.

appleblossom

It's their ebay store that's having a sale, some pairs from $7.50 kids, $8.50 adults (because of a mis-colour) I'm only looking for class shoes so I'm not too fussed if I can get 3 pairs for the price I would normally pay for 1 pair.

However, If you go to them on the ebay site (search aussiedanceshoez in user) and send them a request they will list a pair for you in your size if they have them. I guess postage/shipping is the deciding factor but the Australian dollar is about 90cents US at the moment, so that's like an instant discount.

For Australian prices they're pretty good. Better than the local dance stores.

http://clothing.shop.ebay.com.au/Dancewear...d=p3911.c0.m282

swantobe

I haven't read this whole thread, but I wanted an opinion...I am currently taking RAD intermediate and intermediate foundation classes, in which I am required to wear demi-pointe shoes. But I also take an adults' open class once a week...and all the women wear split sole soft slippers. Making one's feet look nice in demi pointe shoes is really hard (although they have many benefits too), and the difference between my feet and the feet of the other women (in the adults' open class) is thus quite pronounced (whereas in my other classes, everyone is wearing demi pointer so our feet look similar)Is it worth investing in some split soles for the open class? Do they really make that much of a difference? I'd like just one class a week where my feet look nice. And this way my demi pointes can have a day to dry out and hopefully the demi pointes will last just a bit longer as a result.

namaste08

I am very happy with Bloch Neo Hybrid leather split soles. They have a padded stain neoprene heel which gives a perfect comfy fit in the arch and looks beautiful too! A bit pricey, but the construction is great and it gives them a long life.

appleblossom

And since Lau asked about Demi Pointes, I'd be keen to know which type everyone wears as I need a new pair, I was previously in Sansha's but I don''t love them, they are a little too wide at the heel for me

*** They're Sansha's not Leo's... my goodness working nightshift is addling my brain.

missvjc420

Lau, the more you wear your demi pointes, the more they will conform to your feet, and the stronger your feet will get. Sure, they may take some time to get strong, but it will be worth it. Try breaking them in like pointe shoes, there's great advice on that in the pointe shoe forum. I like to wear deshanked pointes to technique class for strength. They also look really good on my feet, because they are really dead. Appleblossom, they don't really sell many demi pointes here in the US, we go straight from technique shoes to pointes for the most part. I would venture to say that it would be hard to find one that fit well unless it's made on the last of a pointe shoe you like. It's hard to even find information on them. The Freed ones sound nice and light. Sansha has 2 models, one made on the Recital last, the other looked more tapered. The Capezio one is made on the Glisse last. I wish we had a demi pointe shoe expert!