Ballet Talk for Dancers
dancepig

What Ballet Flats is everyone using - and why do you like them?

missvjc420

I ordered them from Dancex. They are really good about exchanges, I ordered a pair of pointes that were too big and exchanged them for warm ups. I wear a 8.5 us street shoe, and the Stretch One is a 8w. They have xw and started making them with either a low vamp & low heel (I have these), or a high vamp & heel. Ideally, I would like a low vamp, high heel. I've also tried the canvas Slihouette, which felt good, but the vamp is long. The only thing about Dancex is there is a $40 order minimum, but check out the silk warmer line, beautiful, warm, and well priced. Others really like their tights, and they have several models of ballet shoes. I have not tried their dance wear yet, but it's on my list.

dancepig
Does anyone else have the problem where the heel patch is always placed too far forward? I always seem to have the edge of the heel patch right in the middle of my heel, even in shoes that otherwise fit perfectly. This drives me crazy and can be painful (although I suppose it does remind me to keep my weight off my heels...) Oddly enough, my favorite so far is the Grishko Performance, which is actually so far off that the heel pad is entirely in my arch!! It looks weird, but at least I'm not standing on lumpy seams. Does anyone else have this problem? Have you found any shoes with the heels placed farther back?

I this problem, not as bad as the middle of the heel, but not where it is supposed to be, which is why I want to try the RP Virtuoso, on the RP website it states: "for women and men, with padded heel and sole patch at toe only, with U-cut vamp." I am currently using the RP Nouveau and I like them, I think I might like the Virtuoso more, but can't find them in stock anywhere!

Chihiro

Ooh, Dancepig, those sound great! Let me know if you do manage to track some down. I actually just discovered that the Leo's Airabesque seems to have the heel in the right place for me. Too bad I really dislike them otherwise.

missvjc420

I just ordered the Bloch Proflex in leather from Backbay (plus a new leotard & matching skirt in hunter green- wearing something besides balck and blue yay!). I'm excited to see how they fit. In the meanwhile, am tearing the lining out of my RPs and leather shoes to make them work.

missvjc420

I just got my Backbay package- the Bloch Proflex is a dream! The leather is softer than any other Bloch I've tried, the arch hugs my foot nicely, and they are a bit short, but because they are leather, I think they will stretch quickly. My new Leo fits really well, and the skirt is a great color match, but more on that in a separate thread.

kr12

I've been wearing canvas Capezio Juliet's. They are very light and soft inside. They are a very light pink color which matches nicely with pink tights. I think they make my feet look "cute" but slightly baggy around my tapered feet, short toes. Overall very comfortable to dance in!

I also have a pair of leather spilt-sole Bloch Dansoft. These are alright and I dont wear them too often because I prefer canvas. They bunch up around my arch when I point my foot. They are baggy on the sides in releve. One other thing, the inside of these shoes have a full sole leather insert. The top of the insert rubs against my toes when pointing my feet. Also, these shoes just dont make my feet like pretty like my Juliets. The color is darker than most pink shoes. They are of good quality and will last a long time.

I've tried the Bloch proflex and just couldn't seem to find the right size....either too tight or too baggy, My foot looked nice in them, but had an ugly color.

I've just ordered a pair of Grishko Ultimates...hopefully these will be "the One" for me. If not, I will try some RP.

Lyndee

I just purchased new shoes and used them last night in class. I got the grishko performance split-soles. I wanted the ultimates but the store was selling out their stock and didn't have my size and I really wanted to try them on to get the right fit. I'm assuming I'll be the same size in the ultimates as the performance so I might order them later on.

I had never really noticed about the heel pads not being on my heel before reading this discussion but this is true for both pairs I've used. I especially notice it in the performance slippers. They fit very snug to my feet (they're a half size larger than my street size and I got the wide width)... I worry a little about my second toe getting scrunched a bit (because my second toes are longer than my big toes) but other than that they seem fine. They really make my arch/feet look beautiful.

When choosing a vamp length, should it just cover the toes or should it go farther up on the foot?

DancinMomof2

So far the ballet shoes I like best are the Grishko Ultimate in canvas. I used to only wear leather ballet slippers until last summer when I needed 2 different pairs (different colors needed) for a performance I was in. I decided to try some canvas slippers and realized how much I like them, although I wasn't as thrilled with the shoes I did purchase. One of the ladies in my ballet class recommended the Grishko's so I decided to give them a try and I love them.

kr12

Does anyone wear Russian Pointes? I hear good things about their pointe shoe, but not so much the flats.

I have an average size foot 7-7.5 US, tapered toes, short toes, high arch, thin ankles...any shoe suggestions?

arciedee

I've tried on a bunch of different slippers, but I find myself always gravitating back to the Bloch Pump. I know some people don't like the vamp length (it is rather long), but I personally like the look as I find a lot of shoes look ugly (on me) with too short of a vamp. The way it hugs the arch is beautiful, especially if you've been "blessed" with rather low arches and need all the help you can get! I love the construction of the heel, too, as it maintains a rounded shape even when the foot is pointed. No bagging around the heel like I've experienced with other shoes. I also love the sole patches. The front sole patch is sewn into the shoe, so it's completely flush. I've had issues before with getting sole patches stuck on cracks in studio flooring, so I love that I don't have that problem in these.

A runner-up in leather is the Bloch Neo-Hybrid. Very comfortable and again great for a smooth arch-hugging fit.

I currently also have a pair of Bloch Proflex that I bought for a performance where I needed black slippers. They're okay. Think I got the wrong size, so they're a little baggy, but aside from that, I'm not a huge fan of the sole patches... too bulky. Also bought a pair of Angelo Luzio Wendy's which I mostly just hate. Great concepts in that shoe, but the execution needs some work. I never even sewed the elastics on. I'm thinking I'll just toss them in the slipper exchange basket at the studio.