Ballet Talk for Dancers

Lyrical

Guest CopaCabannaGirl

I take a lyrical class! I love it, because you dance ballet and mix it with some jazz. For our recital in spring we're dancing to LeeAnne Womack (I have no clue how to spell her name) 'I hope you dance'.

Dancing lyrical is sometimes refreshing in a way because you dance to songs that have singing in it so it's easier to know what the emotions the song is portraying. Have fun if you take the class!!!

~Meghan

Guest CopaCabannaGirl

THanx Meghan I will take your advice! I already knwo that it is a diffrent way of writing in a diary( well sorta because you can express waht you are feeling) am I right?

• Administrators

I'm leaving this here, although "lyrical" is not ballet, and is not a recognized form of dance outside of competition schools and regional dance competitions. It is not ballet, it is not jazz, and it is not modern dance. It does not have a technique of it's own or a syllabus. It is not something that creates a "trained" dancer. It's one validity, IMO of course, is that it can, perhaps, elicit some expression and performance ability from dancers who seem to have problems with this in ballet. If one can take these classes and not give up any of their more "legitimate" training to do so, then I suppose it is okay. But if you plan to become a classical dancer and you are in a school where you spend a lot of time on lyrical and other things like hip hop, you are not being trained as a classical dancer. This is fine, as long as you KNOW that, and that this is what you want to do. If you are dancing for fun and recreation, enjoy being able to perform a lot, and have no dreams of a professional career in classical dance, then great! Go for it and enjoy :D

Hello! I haven't been at Ballet Talk for such a long time, because I had some problems logging in. My old name was DancinDiva01. I'm glad that problem was fixed!;)

I take lyrical, and I enjoy it a lot. I have no idea about what category it fits into, but I say go for it! I do agree with Ms. Leigh that you do not gain a lot of technique for classical dancing from it though. Nevertheless, try it out, and see if you like it! I'm doing a lyrical solo right now, and it's really pretty and relaxing. :D

Guest Christina_ballerina

I took lyrical for a year before I began classical ballet training. I thought that since I had taken lyrical, ballet would be easier. I was wrong. Lyrical is not ballet or jazz, but the class is usually jazz or ballet based. Mine was ballet based. I would reccomend it if you need some help with expression, or if you're a jazz dancer who wants to start ballet, but are noy interested in traditional ballet.

Christina, the ballerina

Actually, it kind of got kick-started by Olympic Rhythmic Gymnastics, which includes props, like ribbon wands, hoops and the like.

Guest Ballet_babe_123

I take a lyrical class and I have found that it has really helped me with my expression and understanding of being one with the music. For me it's a great way to forget everything and become the song. I really am not a classical dancer but I don't dance 'recreationally' I guess you could say that I'm planning a career in dancing but my passion is more geared toward teaching.

Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in ...

PS - Mj. Mel, thanks for the info on where lyrical originated from ... I have been a rhythmic gymnast for 10 years now and didn't know that that is where lyrical originated from. Makes sense seeing as half of rhythmic gymastics is half dance ... yet considered a sport because of usage of apparatus (ribbons, ropes, hoops, ######, clubs, etc). hmm ... just goes to show you learn something new everyday! :D

PPS- Love the new layout!!! Looks so good:D

I said lyrical would be "dancing ballet and mix it with some jazz" because that's the only way I can explain lyrical really. Yes, I want to become a professional in classical ballet and I take classes that are ballet. But I take a lyrical class just for the fun of it, the performance oppertunity of the class and because I have no class(es) on Tuesdays.

Guest 4luvofballet

While we're on this topic of alternative dance forms to ballet, I'm just wondering how jazz contributes to one's ballet training? I'm asking because most pre-proffessional schools near where I live (including the one I go to) require you to take a jazz class when you're at the intermediate/advanced level. I don't necessarily have a problem with this, but I'd way rather take another pointe class and I don't see what you get out of jazz, technique-wise. (Well, ok, maybe I have some problem with it...:D

Jazz, modern, or other highly codified alternative dance form helps the ballet dancer to "think outside the box". There are times when the oddest choreographers will ask you to go there and do. You have no idea what Nureyev jazzing to Ashton's "Jazz Calendar" looked like! Not a pretty picture!

Guest CopaCabannaGirl

Thanx all of you for all you replys and I will take it for consideration! it sounds like alot of fun and I will try it .... BUT I dont want it to affect any of my other Classical ballet skills because I am doing a classical ballet solo in compatitions and I want to keep my "Classical edge" so to speak! But I will maybe try it after the compititons are alll over with and I will let you all know! Thank You again!