Ballet Talk for Dancers

When is it too late to start pointe work ?

Shobana Patrick

A question running constantly in my mind is when is it too late to start pointe ? A friend recently asked me if she could go on pointe at 16 or wheather it was too late ....when exactly is it too late to start pointe ? :thumbsup:

• Administrators

Hello Shobana, welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers :thumbsup:

Since you list yourself as a Student, I moved your post from the Parents forum to here on the Young Dancers forum. If this is not the right student age group for you, just let us know and I will move it to the appropriate forum.

It is not too late to start pointe at 16, assuming that the student is well trained and has the physical facility to dance on pointe. It would be late to start and still hope for a professional career in ballet, but then, there are no rules that don't have exceptions and anything can happen. The odds would be against it, however.

It is not too late to start pointe at 16, assuming that the student is well trained and has the physical facility to dance on pointe. It would be late to start and still hope for a professional career in ballet, but then, there are no rules that don't have exceptions and anything can happen. The odds would be against it, however.

To illustrate an exception to this rule: At an SI I attended last summer, one of my teachers was a former NYCB dancer who didn't begin studying ballet at all until she was 16. Obviously, she was prodigiously talented. As Miss Leigh said, this is EXTREMELY rare, but nothing is impossible.

• 2 weeks later...

Ballet=O2, check your tanks. I think your oxygen has become contaminated with amyl nitrite. We're getting a little gossipy :) here.

I agree that it is certainly not too old to start pointe. I was reading an article in a magazine a while ago (I think it was Dance Spirit) that was talking about how old women would start pointe. I'm just wondering if what you are asking is, Is it too late to start pointe for a professional career? or are you just asking if 16 is too old to do pointe.

njbdancer- I meant if it was too late for a professional career in dance or even a teaching career.:wacko: