Ballet Talk for Dancers

Regional Ballet Companies

Guest Vonnie

Guest Vonnie

Recently, I've read about and heard people talk about auditioning for regional youth ballet companies. I heard that they have professional teachers for training, and perform ballets and modern repertoire across the world. Does anyone have any experience with local youth companies? Would it be a good idea to audition for them?

Vonnie, the kind of company you're talking about is a "civic" company. All or nearly all the members are unpaid, and artistic standards vary very widely, from barely better than a recital to equal or better than some professional companies. It's a good way to get experience, and learn repertoire, but if you choose to work with a civic company, make sure of its quality. It can be a fine stepping-stone to a career with a professional company, or it can be nearly worthless. One thing is almost for sure, though, if you choose to work for a civic company: you will need an outside source of income.

Nomenclature of these kinds of companies is a puzzling thing. For years, a "regional" company meant simply a youth ballet, but now means a professional company serving a metropolitan area other than New York, San Francisco, or Chicago. I've chosen to refer to them in the old term "civic" to differentiate between the youth companies and the professional "regionals".