Ballet Talk for Dancers

I cant find a ballet school

Stevie

i want to start ballet but its so hard to find a school with Beginners classes for teens :grinning:

im also plus size so im a bit self Conscious

btw. i dont want to go pro

& i made this choice to shed pounds

• Administrators

Hello Stevie, welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers.

I see you are in NY. How far are you from NYC? If you can get there, there should be plenty of classes at Steps or other studios like that which have open classes. If not, then I would look into adult classes in the schools in your area. That is probably the only way you will get beginner classes that are not very small children. But do try, because if you really like ballet and want to dance, it will be a great activity for you. :grinning:

• Administrators

Well, it wouldn't hurt, but it should not be necessary. You might pick up a copy of Gail Grant's Technical Manual and Dictionary of Classical Ballet, which is a small but good little book, very inexpensive, and usually available at B&N or Borders. You can also order it from Amazon by clicking on the link above. :grinning:

• Administrators

Stevie, it's not necessary to quote the last post in your post. It just uses space and stops the flow of conversation. Please find the Fast Reply or Add Reply buttons, which are below the "Reply and +Quote.

Thank you!

I just started ballet this year at fifteen years old and I am in a teen class. The teen class was not listed on the studio's website but I called them and they said they did offer them so try calling studios. There are at least three girls in my class that would be considered pretty overweight but they still love it and when they get something right or tell us they have lost weight we applaud them. Don't be self conscious!

I am fourteen years old and this is my fifth year dancing. However the first two years were at a competition school where I had one one-hour ballet class per week. So, in my opinion, that training doesn't really count. Three years ago I moved and started at a pre-professional school, where I've been dancing ever since. Now I have four to five 2+ hour ballet classes per week. I was wondering if this amount of training at this age might allow me to become professional if I keep it up. I don't know if that's what I want to do, but sometimes I feel way behind the other dancers at my school and I don't know if that's a realistic concern or not....

Any advice or anything is appreciated. Thanks! :)

What you propose is not outside the realm of possibility. Keep on keeping on! Perseverance counts! :)

Same problem, different story:

I used to live in Michigan, and I took classes for maybe 4 years at the Paavola School of Dance in Flint. I loved the classes, and they were technique-focused and professional.

We moved to northwest Wisconsin when I was about ten. In seventh grade I took classes at one school and decided not to continue; same thing sophomore year. I stopped taking classes at both schools because all we focused on was the big recital at the end of the year and I learned nothing new.

Now I'm sixteen and a junior. I love to dance and I want to get back into ballet, but I don't know how, because there are no good dance schools in my area. Any suggestions?

• Administrators

Hello Curiosity, welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers. :thumbsup:

What is the nearest city to where you live? You may have to travel a bit to find good ballet, unfortunately. But there must be some good schools somewhere up there! How far are you from Milwaukee?

Pretty far. The nearest city is Eau Claire... I'm closer to the Twin Cities than Milwaukee, but right now it's not convenient to drive almost two hours just to get to Minneapolis even once a week...