Ballet Talk for Dancers

Prep Myself for SAB

dancer21794

Hello, I am 15 and attending SAB this summer. I have always been pretty flexible and i have okay everything else. I realize that everything before I got away has to improve 110 percent. To many I may seem really flexible but to succeed at SAb I need to be much more flexible. Does anybody have any stretches for any part of the body that REALLY work if done repetitivley. I have been stretching every night but I wanted more ideas.For girls who have been to SAB- any information on what certain teachers like and do not like would be well appreciated!

• Administrators

There is no magic pill for instant flexibility, dancer21794. The things you have been doing all of your life in ballet are the things that make everything better that one needs to be better. Just keep on working hard and intelligently in classes, some extra stretching when you are well warmed up, and things come in time. SAB does not expect everything to be there when you arrive, nor does any other program.

Victoria Leigh, I understand there is no mjaic pill for flexibility, I was looking for someone to give me some helpful stretches that would specifically help my flexibility, besides the splits. I know I don't have to have it all when I arrive but I am trying to make sure I am the best dancer I can be so that I can succeed when I am there. You may have misunderstood me

• Administrators

Dancer21704, I know you are new here, but it customary here to address our teacher moderators by Ms. or Mr., as you would in the classroom with your own teacher. :thumbsup:

No, I don't think that I misunderstood you. Responses to questions on Ballet Talk for Dancers are given only by the professional teacher moderators on Ballet Talk for Dancers. We do not allow other students to give advice or make suggestions about stretches, because often they are things that we do not think are good or safe, and often they are things that everyone already knows or things that must be taught by a teacher, not described in this format. There is no stretch that is any better than splits, if done when properly warmed up, and no exercises any better than those already done in every series of barre exercises.

Remember, you have already been accepted by SAB. Therefore, they like what they saw in the first place. You don't need to do anything extra; they will teach you what you need to do in order to succeed. Your job is to do it once they have taught you.

A parental post on the Young Dancers board has been removed as parental posts on the Young Dancers board are not allowed. In the future however, complaints about the board or administrators posts should be handled by using the Contact Us link.

Just FYI though, our students have long been requested to call our administrators Ms. Leigh and Mr. Johnson out of respect as students to adults. Using first names when addressing adults has never been proper unless you have been given permission to do so which has not been given here.

• Administrators

Point from the Mom's post well taken. My post has been adjusted.