Ballet Talk for Dancers

ALMOST 40 year old.....starting ballet class!

beauty of dance

Well....here I go! Tonight will be my first time back in ballet class since I was probably... 12 years old! Should be interesting! I really have lost all flexibiltiy....I seriously can't touch my toes at this point! Our 13 year old is on a pre-pro track...and she has been encouraging me to join this "mom ballet" class.....and I am giving in! Wish me luck! Perhaps prayer would be good! I am guessing that I will be in pain for the next several days! :)

Welcome to Ballet Talk for DAncers, Beauty of Dance. And congratulations for getting back to the barre (there's always the other sort afterwards!)

One tip: I wouldn't worry about touching your toes straight away! (I know you were just joking, but still ...) It's a good way to pull a hamstring on Day 1, and that's an injury which takes ages to heal. If you have to do a forward port de bras, then I find I have to be patient for a few classes after a break, and not get my nose of my knees straight away.

Lots of people here will sympathise with the time it takes, and one's impatience, to get back to what we remember of dancing in our youth!

Well....I have returned from class! The barre was what I expected and was able to handle things....as soon as we got to center....that was a different story! Things seemed to be moving much faster than I could keep up with....and my arms didnt remember where they should be....and my feet werent going where they needed to be either! I know I looked quite rediculous! I did get through it, and the teacher and other students were quite nice and accepting. I know that they were all pleased to have another older adult who was doing much worse than them! I feel certain that I will be in pain tomorrow! Thanks for the encouragement!

These things come up periodically, and every so often I feel compelled to post. Those of you who are "re-beginners" have resources within yourselves that us late starters will never have. I've seen you guys in the beginner classes - you pass me by pretty swiftly. I'm envious of course. I'm mostly successful at not regretting what I missed, but truly - count your blessings, they are many. Me, I feel blessed just to be able to take classes in this art which I came to love later in life!

Congratulations on your return to participating in ballet class! I'm sure you did just fine. I've seen many "older" folks return to class and find they do well. After two or three classes, all of the previous training seems to come back, and that's always a good thing!

I do have to say, I loved this comment:

And congratulations for getting back to the barre (there's always the other sort afterwards!)

When taking a class with teenagers, I'm tempted to think of the "other barre" :yucky: Now I'll have this comment to smile about!

I've been back at it pretty heavily for about a year now and I STILL have issues with things that I never used to have issues with when I was a teenager on the professional track. Just do what you can and enjoy it. Dance it....that's how I compensate. So if the legs or arms aren't EXACTLY right, at least I try to look good doing what I DID do.

One of my teachers said that I stand out in class, but for a good reason, even when I'm well off what the others might be doing. I take that to heart each time I mess up. :yucky:

Congratulations on your return! I am a "re-beginner" as well...took a few years of ballet when i was 11, then again in university for fun and fitness. For some reason I thought that to minor in dance you still had to do an audition and whatnot, so I minored in French instead and majored in business. I didn't realize that the dance minor was open to anyone, how I regret it! anyway i am taking an open beginner class as well, this friday will be my 6th class....it does come back to you over time so no worries! And like the others said i'm sure the teacher was pleased to see a new face :wink:

These things come up periodically, and every so often I feel compelled to post. Those of you who are "re-beginners" have resources within yourselves that us late starters will never have. I've seen you guys in the beginner classes - you pass me by pretty swiftly. I'm envious of course. I'm mostly successful at not regretting what I missed, but truly - count your blessings, they are many. Me, I feel blessed just to be able to take classes in this art which I came to love later in life!

Soooo true, and I feel as you do.

Welcome! Welcome!

It makes me smile to see other adults turning up whether they are new beginners or re-beginners. I am a re-beginner almost 4 years back and thinking I shouldn't be claiming any prior training for the looks of things now, but that is how we all get sometimes.

I hope you have a wonderful teacher, fun classmates, and have a blast reconnecting with yourself.

I'm a re-beginner too :clapping:

my 3.5 yr old recently started a creative dance class and it made me long for the days when I myself too ballet classes.

I've only had one class so far. It's amazing how I remember doing the exact same barre warm ups when i was 10. I couldn't remember *how* to do them without semi-following the woman in front of me, but I remembered that I had done them :clapping:

And I agree with the sentiment of the floor movements going too fast to keep up with. My teacher said to focus on my feet till I got the hang of it and focus on the arms next. I seem to be really good at having my arms exactly opposite of how they should be. Which I also remember doing quite frequently as a child. She also had me do different steps in place of turns, because they were just way beyond what I could handle my first class back after 15 years.

I know I looked completely ridiculous, but that's ok, I loved it anyways. The good new is my teacher said I did really well for my first class, and she could tell I'd danced before. She thinks I'll catch up to the rest of the class (which began in September) rather quickly :clapping:

Now to just reteach myself the names of all the moves! Other than pas de bourrée and 1st, 2nd, and 5th position, I don't recall any of the names of things! Of course my teacher uses the proper names, and the names sound familiar, I just don't remember what the heck it is until she demonstates it lol!

There are two older ladies just starting in one of my classes. From the first time I saw them, some months ago, till now, I've seen SUCH a huge improvement in them. It's thrilling to see. If they can do it, so can you. So can anyone if you've a mind to try. Keep at it!