Ballet Talk for Dancers

Choreographing a piece with friends

xomyersgirlxo

I am choreographing a piece with my friends. We can't agree on what music to use. I want something a little more contemporary and my friend wants to do a lyrical song. I don't really like to do lyrical stuff, but I am willing to compromise. I was hoping I could get some song suggestions because I'm having a lot of trouble finding a good song to do.

• Administrators

Hello xomyersgirlxo, welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers. :cool2:

Choreographing by committee is really not an optimal idea. It is very difficult to bring a group, especially a group of young students, together and have them agree on everything needed to choreograph a ballet, even a very short work.

My suggestion is to find your own music and choreograph what YOU want to choreograph. Finding music is a matter of listening, so, of course you first must determine what kind of music you want. Do you want the work to be classical or contemporary? Lyrical, sad, happy and fun, how long, vocal or totally instrumental, etc., etc. These decisions cannot be made by someone else. Finding something that inspires you to want to dance, or make a dance, is the idea. Go to you tube, the library, the music store, friends who have a large CD collection, anyplace you can listen to lots and lots of music. But do decide first what kind of music you want. :thumbsup: