Ballet Talk for Dancers

ballerina flexibility for gymnasts?

uggymnast

Hello,

I am new to ballet talk for dancers. I took ballet from age 3 to about 10 and was pre pointe. Then i decided i was tired of it and switched to gymnastics. I am now an optional gymnast which is like very intensive 5-6 days a week 20+ hours. My past season (state is this weekend) has been plauged with injuries to both ankles and a fractured back, but i now healed. At the begining of last summer i only had my good leg split to 180 but in two weeks with hypersplits after practice i now have left and right leg all the way down but am about 3 inches off of my middles. Many gyms train ballet along with gymnastics becuase of the artistry in the sport, but mine unfortunatly doesn't . my routines have alot of ballet realted moves rather than modern "dance" idk... its like Nastia Liukin style vs Shawn Johnson. Nastia has these long and elegant lines with lots of ballet and shawn is a short, power-packed fireplug with explosive moves. So, my question is " can i achieve ballerina like flexibility through other stretches, ie other than hyper splits. They have gotten my leaps better, like i have 180 leaps and switch leaps, but they aren't like nastia's or are anywhere close to a ballerinas. My jumps, like split and straddles are gross. its like i couldn't hold my legs in 180 in the air , only when there is gravity pulling down on me like on the floor. What do you guys to in ballet to achive those gorgeous leaps and jumps? here is video of the flexility i am talking about.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro3WrBBWTY8

this is from the progressive skating and gymnastics show. just watch the dance... also here is some of here gymnastics, like her floor routine.

the dance is amazing, the grace , the poise, ahhh just like a ballerina.

Edited by uggymnast
  • Administrators

Hello uggygymnast, welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers :D

It seems that your post did not make beyond the 'Hello' part. If you hit the Edit button, that will open it up again and you can finish the post.

• Administrators

Ballerinas generally do not do oversplits, at least not in classical work. In some contemporary forms of ballet they might do a penché going beyond the 180º line, but it really is not as pretty and makes it look very acrobatic. Ballet is not about acrobatics at all. Yes, flexibility is an important part, but actually the flexibility demanded for gymnastics is well beyond that needed for ballet.

We also do NOT recommend doing oversplits to stretch, as they are potentially dangerous, as well as unnecessary.

• Administrators

They do splits, but not oversplits. Ballet itself is designed to increase flexibility and rotation. Many of the exercises at the barre work on the flexibility, and all of them work on rotation and correct usage of the legs and feet.

ug-

I'm confused.....do you wish to discuss ballet because you want to learn more about it so that you can study it? There have been cases of gymnasts turning to ballet after reaching a high level in gymnastics. The stretches that you do and the flexibility that is required for gymnastics at a high level will certainly be more than enough to get started in ballet.

What might help you more than worrying about stretches is reading about ballet and ballet training, and renting good ballet videos. From there, you should seek out an excellent ballet school in which to train. :yucky:

• Administrators

ug, what do you mean by what kind of "hope" do we do???

By the way, we do not use text message speak here on Ballet Talk for Dancers. Our members are world wide and a great many speak English only as a second language. We try to make our posts as clear as possible, in correct English, and with prpoper use of upper case and punctuation. No numbers for words, please! :)