Ballet Talk for Dancers

Dance Compatitions?

Guest CopaCabannaGirl

Guest CopaCabannaGirl

Does anyone know how to prepare for a dance comp. besides getting a good sleep and practicing really well? My nerves take over my body and then I feel totally un-prepared! Is there anyway I can over come this anyone have any suggestions?

Guest BroadwayBaby

Hi!

You sound like you've done this before... and I know I've said this before, but the key is to just relax. Really. I just recently went to a dance comp, and I wasn't relaxed before I went on, and I totally didn't feel like I did well. You just have to trust in yourself that you know the steps... and relax and let your body do the work. You know it:). Have confidence!:):D

Hi!

I used to do many competitions before going into serious training with ballet, but I do remember that it was very stressful before the competition. Because we usually drove to the competition site (we have a HUGE van! :) ) I would close my eyes, and run through the dances in my mind, also remembering the recent and past corrections my teacher gave me on that piece. When we arrived, I would feel refreshed, rested, and ready to perform. There are many different ways to "prepare" for performances and competitions and most of it is your opinion and preference. I hope this helped! :D

Guest Ballet_babe_123

For me, it's always a long hot bath with soothing music in the back ground the night before and the day of the competition I'll usually listen to my music while I'm getting ready and driving to the competition to psych myself up. Then just as I'm getting ready to walk on the floor I become the character and just think of being the character ... Really, you just have to have fun and dance. My dance teacher always gives me 'the talk' before I go on

"To heck with the judges, to heck with your parents, to heck with the audience, to heck with me, just go out there and dance the heck outta that number because you love to dance"

And really, if you think about it, it's really all what it comes down to :)

Guest CopaCabannaGirl

My teacher always says that you need to be a charcter and that you need to find the purpose to be performing like a Princess dancing for the court and king! To become someone else I think helps!