Ballet Talk for Dancers

grand jete

dobby

I have noticed that when i do a grand jete i stretch out my first leg, but the leg behind won´t

stretch out. I have tried to strech it out, but if i do that my first leg isn´t straigth.

How do i do to get both legs strecht out when preforming a grand jete? :(

Yeah, I have the same problem now that we started learning jete elance and coupe jete. I don't have the same problem with regular grand jetes, but I really have to pay attention to my back leg when I do the first two steps. Any input would be appreciated!

It might help to break down the grand jeté--brush one leg front at 90º, make sure your position is correct, then jump onto it (not a big jump) and raise the other to 90º in back and stay there a moment, making sure to keep each leg straight as you raise it. Once you can do this easily, you can gradually speed it up and do a larger jump.

I am sure some of our other teachers will have helpful suggestions of their own, but I hope this will get you started.

Though a grand jete is described as a grand jeté to the front, and then one to the back, it seems that the more experienced people in my class are doing something else (even if they're not getting very high) - they're giving their legs a further twitch open when they are up in the air - or in other words, once the back leg is up, the front leg seems to momentarily go higher. Is this right? Is it something to try? What they do looks much better than the simple wide jump that I do.

Thanks,

Jim.

Yes, once one is comfortable with the mechanics of grand jeté, the idea is to do a very high, traveling jump. In order to increase the effect of a high jump, one ought to inhale at the apex of the jump and simultaneously try to extend the split of the legs. This creates the illusion that one is suspended briefly in the air.

Thank you.

In my dreams...

Jim.

• 3 weeks later...

I would also like to add that the arc you create in the air is just as aesthetically pleasing as the degree of extension, IMHO. I have seen many very flexible ballerinas execute what ought to be a pretty grande jete that just didn't impress me much. They did a great split in the air but they travelled more parallel to the floor, somewhat low and in a straight line. The idea is to follow the leg upward and outward, while having the back leg follow suit. When you land you want that bag leg pointing way up and away, from whence you came before you bring it in.