Ballet Talk for Dancers

Movies: Every Little Step

I just saw the new documentary about an audition for "A Chorus Line" called "Every Little Step." I highly recommend it! It's a very honest and emotional depiction of the audition journey, one that all dancers (and their parents) can relate to. Bring your kleenex, some parts are truly gut-wrenching!

I saw this last September at the Toronto International Film Festival and thought it was great and absolutely worth seeing. It was picked up for wider distribution then (I guess by Sony Classics! The producers couldn't say at the time), so it will probably be a few more months before a DVD is available as it is now screening in theatres.

For those interested in seeing it here, I was just told today that it will be screening at the Toronto Jewish Film Festival. The website indicates it will be playing next Sunday, April 26 at 4.30 pm. This information is not listed on the page pavlova linked.

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw it in NYC. Wonderful! A must see! It speaks to the joys, aspirations, frustrations of dancers everywhere. Very poignant, touching.

• 1 month later...

I just saw this documentary -- highly recommended! For those of you loving So You Think You Can Dance -- well, you get to see Tyce Diorio (sp?) auditioning!

And, there's a bit with a famous former NYCB dancer -- I gasped so loud when he came on screen, everyone looked at me! :innocent:

I'll have to wait for the DVD. It's not at or coming to a theatre near me! *sigh*

Definitely agree to bring the kleenex, I cried through several parts of this documentary. I loved every minute of it, especially since A Chorus Line had been in my city about two weeks before I saw the documentary so it was all very fresh in my mind.

I can't wait to see this! Another 4 weeks before it'll show up in my city.

• 1 month later...

I saw this last night with my daughter. We both loved it! I never knew what a long, drawn-out process the audition process for a Broadway show is. And these performers surely are the "triathletes" of the performing arts - acting, dancing, singing, I was blown away by the talent. A fabulous documentary!

Saw this with love_ballet last night and it was incredible!!! I absolutely loved every minute of it! I could definitely relate to parts of it (when Jacques D'Amboise was talking about how hard it is to take time off from dancing). I HIGHLY recommend seeing it if it comes to a theatre near you.

• Administrators

Good news! Just checked and found out that the DVD will be released Oct. 13! :thumbsup:

Oh yeah, thanks for the great news. Ms Leigh. DD missed it when it was in town and really wants to see it and I have been checking for the DVD.

• 2 years later...

This is a fantastic documentary -- I have it on DVD and have to confess I watch it every couple of months (much to my husband's dismay :D). It gives an insightful look into the audition process and is inspiring and emotional. A must see for dancers and all aspiring performers!