Ballet Talk for Dancers

Dance Wear

AerBear

Hi Everyone,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, so please feel free to move if it is in the wrong spot.

Just wanted to see if anyone knows of any good dance stores around Toronto or places that will ship to Toronto for cheap.

I have tried Dance Experts and Dancewear in person and several stores in the U.S online but I find the online shipping prices to Canada SO expensive... almost more than the order itself!

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for the help!

Hi AerBear,

The main options in the City of Toronto itself (all accessible by transit, if that matters to you), are

The Shoe Room (at the National Ballet School, Carlton and Jarvis)

Danceshoppe (Yonge and Sheppard)

Malabar (Queen and McCaul)

Toronto Dancewear (Wilson Heights and Wilson)

Each store has its own plusses/minuses, depending on what you're looking for. For example, I personally would only go for a full pointe fitting at the first two stores, though others may have had different experiences, while another carries the particular tights I like. There might also be other stores that I have forgotten or don't know of.

Online orders aren't really feasible for the reason you mentioned. Remember that even if you find an international site that has cheap shipping, you can still get dinged by Canada Customs when the package arrives, depending on the value of its contents. (From the US, if the package is sent via USPS, you'd be charged taxes + $5. It's usually way more if it comes via UPS/Fed-Ex/etc. Ouch!) Technically, items made in the US or Mexico shouldn't be taxed here (NAFTA), but, firstly, I don't know if any of these things are still made in North America and, secondly, I don't have any idea how to petition to have items exempt when they are sent by mail or courier. Sometimes I'll pre-order some basics (like canvas technique shoes) to be delivered to a friend's house in the US before I go for a visit, because the price differences are so substantial.

Hi Gav,

Thanks for your feedback... I took a quick look at prices at some of the stores you listed... wow! everything is so expensive! Oh well, I guess I will have to bite the bullet on this one.

Thanks again for your help.

If you want to go just outside Toronto, you can go to Second Skin in Thornhill (near Yonge St, just south of Highway 7). Prices are slightly better (and I mean slightly), but they will give a small discount for certain items depending on which dance studio you are with.

For pointe shoe fittings, I would go with Dance Shoppe or the Shoe Room. They carry different pointe shoes, so phone or check the website to see if they have the ones you are interested in trying.

There is one other store that quite a few people like, although my experience has been up and down - Ginny Bee's - main location on Yonge Street north of Cummer, with a second location in Markham.

I have also ordered online with All About Dance. It seems if you order the Can equiv of less than $200, you don't always have to pay customs. It does mean though you have to order in smaller lots, so it really depends on what you are looking for. As well, you have to factor in the exchange rate so it definitely isn't as good a deal now as it was a year ago.

If you know exactly what you want, I also know of people who will call a store in a border location, for example, Buffalo, and have the items shipped there, and then they go down to pick them up. Some of the outlet stores near the border also are good to find inexpensive things but you have to be flexible in what you want as they generally carry end of lines, etc.

Regardless or where you go, it is very expensive here for dance stuff !!

Good luck with your search.

I usually ship stuff to my mother-in-law who lives in the US, then pick it up when I visit, or have her ship it to me as "gift" (which is customs exempt when it's below a certain amount) :-)

Do you know anybody in the US? Also, keep in mind that the evil Fed-Ex charges a lot of money for clearing customs. US regular post is a bit more expensive, but usually clears customs without extra fees.

WhatsThePointe: Nope, not that I can think of.... I'll just wait for someone I know to go to the U.S and have them pick it up. Seems better than having it shipped

• 6 months later...

Little late posting , but just joined...There is a good place to order dancewear online from a store in Canada http://info.inspirationsdancewear.com/

They are not in Toronto so prices tend to be better and they have great promos especially the BEST sale in Feb - shoes are 10-90% off and all clothing is BOGO! Sign up on the site to be on their email list - Totally worth it!