Ballet Talk for Dancers

Articles: Ballets Russes

vrsfanatic

Odd photo indeed! :offtopic: Nice to see Ballet Russe get nice attention though. :lol:

You have to wonder if that photo was used in the print version of the paper as well for the article.

Did you view the photos of the dress rehearsal? The shot of the wardrobe malfunction from The Prodigal Son is priceless. The facial expressions are great. One picture is identified as Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun but based on the costume and stage setting it appears to be La Spectre de la Rose.

Thanks for sharing.

Who is the company in that first photo?

Glad about the article and the tribute though!!

I received the following reply from Boston.com:

Good Afternoon Hans:

Thank you for writing to Boston.com. Roman Rykine, the dancer in the photograph at http://www.boston.com/ae/theater_arts/arti...ostonBallet/#/3, does not dance in in "Spectre de la Rose."

We hope that this information is helpful to you.

Kind regards,

Customer Support

Boston.com

Regardless, he's obviously rehearsing "Spectre" in that photo. :o

Oy, Yoy, Oy, Yoy, Oy, Yoy... Madame Shollar would be appalled....Way to go, Hans!

The company in the photo is Rebecca Rice's company. The reason I know this is because I sleuthed a little. I know one of the dancers in the front, Adrina Devitre. So, I googled her name, came up with the proper article/review that goes along with the photo. (too early to sleuth again for the link, sorry).

The article was about the Ballets Russes 2009 festival, not (in particular) about any one particular organization participating in it. It mentioned that the Ballets Russes Festival is a multi-disciplinary festival involving numerous Boston-based arts organizations. In seeking a multi-disciplinary approach, the festival emphasizes the ways in which we have all inherited richly from the Ballets Russes --- one small arts organization that had a revolutionary impact on our performing and visual arts, in particular by introducing us all to a modernist aesthetic.

The photo is of the Rebecca Rice Dance company, which will be performing with the Boston Pops as part of the festival on May 19 at 8pm in Symphony Hall.

http://www.rebeccaricedance.com/Upcomingsoiree.htm

I think that everyone here understands that Boston Ballet has been influenced by the Ballets Russes and is an appropriate organization to participate in a Ballets Russes festival. But using Rebecca Rice dancers in the photo emphasizes that their work too is a direct artistic descendant of the Ballets Russes. Nijinsky's Rite of Spring, after all, was deeply involved in the birth of modern dance. It introduced many "anti-ballet" aspects in its movement that became a staple of the later institutional modern dance pioneeers, such as Martha Graham. Rite of Spring today is performed at least as frequently by modern dance companies as by ballet companies, and is often considered to fall under the modern dance genre.

Using a picture of the Rebecca Rice company reminds us that not only is this company featured in the festival, but that the Ballets Russes was also instrumental in introducing a modernist aesthetic in general. Not only did the introduction of modernism change ballet, it also lead to the birth of an entire new genre of dance. In this festival, we get to see both the dance that started it all (The Rite of Spring) and some of what that has led to 100 years later (Rebecca Rice), all under one umbrella. From a practical point of view, featuring a picture of Rebecca Rice dance company also helps promote one of the lesser-known organizations participating in the festival, encouraging the reader to dig deeper. Numerous photos of Boston Ballet were already included, and most readers probably understand implicitly that they would likely be a participant.

The Ballets Russes 2009 calendar can be found at: http://www.ballets-russes.com/calendar.html

As for the mis-labeled Boston Ballet pictures: In my experience, this is standard operating procedure in the performing arts. When it comes time to give a photo to the press, you give them your best photo that conveys visually what you want. And you imply that the photo is actually of the upcoming show, and includes the stars of the upcoming show. I have seen numerous shows that are marketed using photos from dances other than the ones that will be performed. Dance photogrpaphy is hard. A good photo of the "wrong" dancer or setting is far better than a bad (or non-existent) photo of the "right" dancer in the "right" setting. As they say... there's no business like show business.