Ballet Talk for Dancers

tattoos - when to cover up, and how?

jessicanicole42191

I am thinking of getting a tattoo, but am worried about how tattoos are perceived in the ballet world. I am taking this decision slow thinking of job opportunities in future (with companies) and if I really want a tattoo when I am 60 or 70.

Do companies hire, or rather not hire, a dancer based on whether or not they have a tattoo? :)

Is there a way to successfully cover up the tattoo for a performance without worry of the make-up running or fading to reveal the tattoo?

Also if I do end up getting a tattoo, should I cover it up for auditions or just performances?

I have read the threads on tattoos that have already been posted here to see the general view on tattoos on dancers, but could not seem to locate any way to cover them up or when would be an appropriate time to cover them up (not just in performances!).

• Administrators

Jessicanicole, I am glad you are taking it slow and really thinking about it first. My opinion is the same as it was in the other thread, which is very negative about them. It's a personal decision, of course, but thinking about how you would feel about it many years later is a good idea. Also thinking about covering it is a good idea. They do not cover well. Depending, of course on size and colors, but generally make up does not totally cover them and there is really no other way to do it. If you really want one, put it someplace that it will not show in a costume of any kind, and keep it small. I would not want it showing at an audition any more than at a performance. My advice is don't do it, but, it's your decision. Just know it can complicate things for a performer in classical ballet. Think tutu. :)

2 girls in my studio have tattoos , they both have them in areas that are difficult to cover. 1 on the upper back and the other on the calf. The girl with the tattoo on the calf has worn skin tone tights under her costumes and tights, it works most of the time. The1 on the upper back is very large and coulorfull as a group we have had to get creative about covering it, we have been the most sucessful with a brand ofmakeup desigdend for burn victims called " sweet lalanie" it's endorsed by our local burn unit, I use it for stage and everyday and its great for my senstive skin. Theatrical body paint like the type used to turn the Elphaba character in wicked green has also worked. Our teachers are very upset about the tattoos .

Think about very old women who have tattoos........................ c'mon- you've seen 'em; the dangling skin where you can see all the individual dots because gravity has yanked on the tatoo so it's now an unrecognizeable mess???? :yucky::pinch::green: Think long and hard about it. Oh, and tatoo removal doesn't work the way they say it does, just so ya know.

Thank you :yucky:

I am still thinking, but am leaning more towards no for the moment. I may still, but at the moment I think the hassle of trying to cover one up for ballet outweighs the pros of having one. Maybe if I still want one once I stop dancing (or perusing a performing career) I will get one :pinch:

Clara76; my ballet teacher got a tattoo while she was the Miami City Ballet School and when she became a trainee for a company she tried tattoo removal since the AD gave her so much grief for having a tattoo, so I have seen first hand that tattoo removal doesn't work well (hers looks like a blob/birth mark now).

Mrs. Leigh; Thank you for the information that they don't cover well with makeup!

Think about very old women who have tattoos........................ c'mon- you've seen 'em; the dangling skin where you can see all the individual dots because gravity has yanked on the tatoo so it's now an unrecognizeable mess???? :yucky::pinch::green: Think long and hard about it. Oh, and tatoo removal doesn't work the way they say it does, just so ya know.

I think that was a little harsh towards people who do have tattoos.

Not harsh at all in my opinion, just true. Sagging tatooed skin is not attractive.

Tatoo removal isn't like an eraser; it is true that it leaves a reddened area that resembles a birthmark. The procedure is also uncomfortable.

Sorry you feel it's harsh, but it is true. Gravity isn't kind, and tattooed skin takes it particularly poorly.

Well i'm new to this board, but I am glad to be part of it. I have strong oppinions about tattoos. I have 1 right now and I am 18. Is is 3 chinese characters down my side meaning ballet dance. I chose where it is not only because i like it, but it is also because its easy to hide. Generally with ballet costumes your side is not showing. This last year I was arabian in the nutcracker and the top is a belly shirt. So I did some research and there is a great tattoo make up cover called ben nye (thats possibly misspelled). It worked really well without any sweating off!

I know there was also a post about covering it for audtions and preformances. Mine is covered when wearing a leotard soI dont worry about auditions. Although if it couldnt be covered by my leotard I would cover it. Companys are judgemental, you must look the part of a ballarina and fit inside the classical box. If you are looking for a more contemporary route then tattos are much more accepted and wouldnt need to be covered for auditions or some preformances.

Regarding the comment of how gravity pulls the picture and it looks unattractive when your older is understandable. Personally when i'm older I will not be wearing clothes that show off my sides and the tattos I have. The only person to see them would by my husband and he should love me anyways. So having a saggy tattoo is just like having saggy skin. It doesnt make a difference to me. That is also just personal oppinion and i respect the people that disagree. :)

I hope this helps anwer some questions :) And the girl thinking about getting one I say go for it! As long as it has reasoning to you and your not just getting it to look cool then go for it :):grinning:

Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers, sassyJEM!!!

I really like how you are able to share your opinion while being respectful!!!! You are a welcome addition to us!!!

SassyJEM; Thank you so much for telling me about your experience. I have looked at Ben Nye make-up, but it is good to hear from a dancer that is does in fact cover well and won't sweat off!

I am still going to wait a bit (at least until the fall) until I move ballet schools/cities and re-visit the idea then -- especially since there are better artists in the city I will be moving to! :grinning: