Ballet Talk for Dancers

need advice about tryout results

Eloise

ok so I tried out for a company within my ballet school and I didn't make it

I'm extremely dissapointed because I have been waiting for two years to be in it and all my teachers told me I have improved and have given me good commentary.... then I found out that all the people in my level who tried out made it except one other person (slightly overweight) and even some people from levels below me made it

so I'm really confused.. I asked the director what I should work on and why I didn't make it and he was like well looking through the teacher's notes there isn't anything negative comments about you

The theories of why I didn't make it:

-because they couldn't only leave one girl out (the slightly overweight girl) so they justified it by not letting me make it...

what should I do?

-I can't afford to go to SI this summer so I guess maybe that had an effect on it... but it's so unfair I would if I could I just have no $$. Maybe I could use the money I was going to buy a car with for SI- are there any programs that are still accepting applications?

-Maybe I need to lose weight.. but I'm not any different than many of the girls in the company

I'm 5'4" and I weigh about x pounds.

Anyways please, please help :)

(edited in accordance with board policy of not discussing weight - Mr. Johnson)

• Administrators

Eloise, all you can do is work harder and stay positive, so that, hopefully, they will want you in the company. You have to show them that they made a mistake in not taking you. I agree that the excuse they used is very poor, and in poor taste. It is not a legitimate reason. However, there is really nothing you can do about it. The main thing is to not show a negative attitude, as that will not help at all.

Does not going to a Summer Intensive mean that you will not be dancing at all this summer, or does your own school have a good intensive program? Not dancing all summer is totally not a good idea, unless you are primarily a recreational dancer and have no career aspirations.

Where did you come up with the "theories"? Did he actually say those things to you?? If he did, I'm in agreement with Miss Leigh- poor excuse.

If those theories were things either you or your "friends" came up with, then it's time to start from scratch. Erase those ideas for just a moment, and think.

1. Are you diligent about your attendence to classes?

2. Do you consistently demonstrate a good work ethic?

3. Are you open to corrections when given, and able to quickly apply them?

4. Do you pick up steps/choreography quickly?

5. How is your 'presentation'? Do you present yourself well with a clean, healthful appearance, with your hair always neatly done?

6. What about your 'performance-presentation'? Do you allow your joy to show throughtout your body and face when you dance?

7. Do you respectfully try to go first across the floor and during centre combinations??

8. How about your audition. Did you ensure that the judges would look at you when you danced?

Where did you come up with the "theories"? Did he actually say those things to you?? If he did, I'm in agreement with Miss Leigh- poor excuse.

If those theories were things either you or your "friends" came up with, then it's time to start from scratch. Erase those ideas for just a moment, and think.

1. Are you diligent about your attendence to classes?

2. Do you consistently demonstrate a good work ethic?

3. Are you open to corrections when given, and able to quickly apply them?

4. Do you pick up steps/choreography quickly?

5. How is your 'presentation'? Do you present yourself well with a clean, healthful appearance, with your hair always neatly done?

6. What about your 'performance-presentation'? Do you allow your joy to show throughtout your body and face when you dance?

7. Do you respectfully try to go first across the floor and during centre combinations??

8. How about your audition. Did you ensure that the judges would look at you when you danced?

1. I think this is probably the biggest problem area because I had mono this year.. but my mom asked if it would affect my tryout and the director said no.

2. yes

3. yes

4. usually

5. yes

6. yes

7. yes

8. it wasn't the best audition.. but my teachers have had me for several years they know how I dance

Ah. I think I understand now.

Mono, or at least the aftereffects, last in the body for a very long time. This affects strength, stamina, and of course, when you missed the classes (understandable why), it does affect your progress in comparison to others in your level who did not have mono.

The AD could have explained more specifically, that the mere fact that you were sick would not in itself prevent you from a spot in the co., BUT

that the classes you had to miss may have put you at a disadvantage for this time.

Now, you can get back to where you were healthwise, but you are going to have to be p a t i e n t. :pinch: It may take you all of this summer and next year to 'catch up' to where you want to be. But you're still young so it can be done. If you have patience and are willing to put the work in, I have a sneaking suspicion that next year's audition may go a bit better for you. :yucky:

Ah. I think I understand now.

Mono, or at least the aftereffects, last in the body for a very long time. This affects strength, stamina, and of course, when you missed the classes (understandable why), it does affect your progress in comparison to others in your level who did not have mono.

The AD could have explained more specifically, that the mere fact that you were sick would not in itself prevent you from a spot in the co., BUT

that the classes you had to miss may have put you at a disadvantage for this time.

Now, you can get back to where you were healthwise, but you are going to have to be p a t i e n t. :wink: It may take you all of this summer and next year to 'catch up' to where you want to be. But you're still young so it can be done. If you have patience and are willing to put the work in, I have a sneaking suspicion that next year's audition may go a bit better for you. :)

Ok well that makes me feel a little bit better. It's just frustrating because I have been waiting for two years to join, and now I don't make it because of a stupid sickness... and I feel like even though I have missed a lot of classes a couple of the girls who did make it are a level below me so I truly believe part of it was that they couldn't leave out the overweight girl without leaving out me... not that they would ever admit to that.

A girl at my studio had mono and could not take classes for a whole month and a half. I know that the degree of seriousness of every case is different, but it really hit her hard. She still talks about feeling "off" and this was in December/January, so maybe that is something that could have factored in?

Prove to them that they WANT you!

Good luck!

: )

A girl at my studio had mono and could not take classes for a whole month and a half. I know that the degree of seriousness of every case is different, but it really hit her hard. She still talks about feeling "off" and this was in December/January, so maybe that is something that could have factored in?

Prove to them that they WANT you!

Good luck!

: )

yeah, i get it. it obviously affected me a lot. my mom like won't support me anymore though, like she doesn't want to pay for me to go to summer intensive because i didn't make the school company so she thinks i'm not good enough to be in a professional company

• Administrators

Eloise, are you confused or am I confused? You said originally that they told you it was because of the other girl that they didn't take you. In your post after that you said "...so I truly believe part of it was that they couldn't leave out the overweight girl without leaving out me... not that they would ever admit to that." But they did say that to you, right? Just not sure what exactly is going on here.

As far as your Mom is concerned, what are her reasons for thinking that you cannot be a professional dancer? I ask because if it's just because you did not make the school company, after having mono and missing a lot of classes, that does not seem reasonable to me. Are there other reasons?