Ballet Talk for Dancers

Do I need downtime?

La_Bailarina

I was doing some thinking today and realized that I haven't really had any time off since December, when I started back in classes after my last hip surgery. For the first time in a long time, my body is finally feeling pretty darn close to 100%...and I'd like to keep it that way.

I'm 20 years old and have had a pretty even split between modern and ballet in my training for the past 2 years. In the past two years, I've also had to take a total of about 7 months off to deal with the aftermath of two hip surgeries (and, a year and a half prior to that, was off for close to 6 months dealing with another). So I feel like I need to be in class to make up for the time I've lost, not to mention it's what I love so I want to be in class. I've been pulled into a performance that's next week but after that, my summer plans are at my disposal. I will be working, but there are tons of open classes in my area so getting a class or two in at least 4, if not 5 or 6, days a week is very easy to do.

So, my question is, should I make myself take a week or two off this summer? I go back to school in mid-August and am immediately thrown back into my full schedule. How much time off do I need and when should I take it? Thanks!

• Administrators

With most students I recommend at least a week off, even two, if they have had a long and hard 9 month year. However, you have not been going that long, plus the fact that you are just getting back to full strength. Taking time off now would not be good. And, you want to be in good shape when you start back in August. Therefore, I would suggest taking a few days at a time, maybe 2 or 3 days off every once in a while through the summer. Other than that, keep working!