Ballet Talk for Dancers

Television: The Tonys- Billy walks with it!

I hope that many of us were watching the Tonies tonight, as Trent, and Kiril, and David just seemed to please the audience (of show people!) no end, and their thank-yous were just perfect. A nice word for their teachers, too, and I bet that this is the first time Kevin McKenzie ever got a mention at a Tony Award! :( Kiril's capper was just the perfect way to segue into the next award. All three showed great poise, and an unstagy quality that I found star material all through. What do the rest of you think?

Honestly, I'm still smiling from their acceptance 'speeches'. I actually clapped from my sofa. They were wonderful! I'll need more time to process thoughts articulately!

• Administrators

Loved them and very happy that they won!!!

Just got done watching with dd. She has a huge crush on David and was pulling for him the entire night. :D

I think it's wonderful that those boys were honored for doing something so many boys get teased for. Congratulations to them and the entire production!

I thought they were absolutely adorable. We rewound it and watched it three times. They were sweet, appropriate and real. I cried and clapped from my couch. We have watched Kiril and David since they were even small at YAGP in LA. I saw the show a month after it opened in London and again in NY in April of this year with David in the lead role that night. I have another colleague who taught for me a few years ago who is also in the show playing Mr Braithwaite and was happy to see him in the chorus as well tonight. So much fun. Such an amazing show. I blubber miserably every time I see it. :D

DD saw them accept one of their early awards at YAGP at ages 8 and 9 years ago, and texted last night after watching the show to say they are exactly the same as they were then - confident and adorable bunheads. Yahoo for them (and their parents and teachers)

I don't know if "bunhead" is a unisex term, but I know what's meant, and that's a good thing, and I agree. The sheer amount and quality of dance on the show was impressive. This was an awards show that kept moving, and knew the virtue of keeping to a timeframe. The difference between this and the movie and TV awards shows was night and day. In the other media, it seems like they are always thinking that there's another take. Billy Elliot was nominated for fifteen awards, and took away ten. That had to be, because some of the awards had two nominees for the same ones. Great showing for all concerned.

This is great - I'm glad I bought our tickets for the show before now, as I'll expect it will be even more popular now. We'll be going at the end of our east coast visit after picking up DS at the end of his first SI....

And to make matters even more interesting, I found out this morning that one of the young women who runs my doctor's business office is Trent Kowalik's cousin! So I got to express myself about the show all over again to somebody I know! I told her, "Just tell your cousin that what he's doing is a great thing for the whole profession!"

I saw Billy the night before the awards with Tommy Batchelor playing Billy. He is now the fourth Billy in the rotation. Tommy was great and the show was outstanding. I was in NYC with my non-dancing 16 year old son who who also loved the show and if very supportive of his 12 year old dancing brother.

Edited by bleague

I was thrilled for the three young boys that play Billy. I loved their acceptance speech. I am now determined to see the show on my next NYC trip. I have seen David Alvarez in class at JKO and he is beautiful and a wonderful student. A really great day for boys that want to dance. I am blessed to teach in a school that can boast having 11 boys in their entire enrollment of 43 students. Rare indeed and now we have more fuel to keep them coming although it is not easy in the small, conservative (can I say redneck!) city where we are located!

Those of us in Irish dancing in the NY tri-state area and beyond have been watching Trent at local, regional, and major int'l competitions for years. He won the World Irish Step Dance Championships in 2006 after having won every other major title the year before. I remember, on more than one occasion, attending feiseanna (competitions) when Trent was just a wee one. We would race through the building to make it to his stage on time to see him dance; he was that good. :( I was thrilled to see his Billy Elliot performance on Broadway earlier this year, and even more thrilled last night. He has many "aunts" and "uncles" in Irish dance cheering him along his journey. My favorite part, of course, was when he began the thanks to family and teachers, especially (of course I'm biased :P ) his TCRG stepdance teacher, Sean Reagan.

I saw Billy the night before the awards with Tommy Batchelor playing Billy. He is now the fourth Billy in the rotation. Tommy was great and the show was outstanding. I was in NYC with my non-dancing 16 year old son who who also loved the show and if very supportive of his 12 year old dancing brother.

Tommy is a former student of my sister's!! He is a lovely dancer as well as the other boys... We were so excited when the Tony winner from Billy (who came up with his wife...he was so cute) mentioned "many names that you won't hear tonight" and mentioned Tommy!!

It was so nice that they all mentioned their dance teachers :wink:

Some of the students at the San Diego Academy of Ballet had a "Tony party" complete with red carpet. Needless to say, they went crazy when Kiril and David (who, by the way, also studied at the San Diego Academy of Ballet) won. Everyone was thrilled to have the studio and owners, Maxim and Sylvia Tchernychev, mentioned (since the studio hasn't gotten much local recognition for the show).

It was particularly nice because a big group from the studio got to see Kiril perform when they were back in NYC for YAGP.

I can tell you those boys are every bit as sweet as they appeared on the broadcast. Kiril has always gone out of his way to deflect attention he receives to make sure the other boys at the studio are noticed as well.

• Administrators

There was a nice article in the Globe and Mail today (Canada's national newspaper) about David Alvarez (who is from Montreal). I see this as quite an accomplishment - the Globe in my opinion doesn't do a great job reporting on the performing arts....David and family should be thrilled!! The article was on page three of the front section!!!

m2