Ballet Talk for Dancers

Turnout

Hey everyone. Something i really struggle with in dance is my turnout. I have horrible turnout and it really puts me behind in ballet. I try so hard in class and it has gotten a little better (my teacher said) but i do not see much improvement. Everyone tells me to just work it in class and that will help but i feel like i need more than that. I feel i could progress, and things would be much easier if I could master my turnout. Can anyone give me any tips or exercises to help?!

Thanks you so much

Hope

Hope, can you tell us how long you've been studying, and what the frequency and duration of your classes is? e.g. 6x/week, 90 min. each If you take classes beside ballet technique, it would be good to know that, too.

• Administrators

Hope, I hate to tell you this, but I don't think anyone ever really "masters" turnout! :D We all work on it endlessly, no matter how much we have naturally. The alignment and weight placement and strength to control it is the main key, but still, there are some people who just do not have enough ability to make it even "good". Everyone can improve it, but how much is the question. Learning to really use what you have to the best of your ability, and use it ALL the time, is critical to making it look better while you keep working to improve it. But do not expect it to ever get "perfect" if it does not start out there.

The best way to improve it is through working slowly and very focused on the rotation in your tendus, and especially rond de jambe à terre. Tendu becomes your extention, so every position is critical.

Hope, can you tell us how long you've been studying, and what the frequency and duration of your classes is? e.g. 6x/week, 90 min. each If you take classes beside ballet technique, it would be good to know that, too.

Ive danced since I was 8 and took 3 classes a week 1.5, I then stopped dancing for a while and went back my soph year and did all types of dance. I am now going to be a soph in college and I am really serious about ballet. I take modern and ballet 3 days a week 1.5 hrs each and jazz 2 times a week 1.5 along with some other random dance classes. I am going to a SI and will be taking classes from about 8am to 5pm 6 days a week. I hope this helped!

Hope, I hate to tell you this, but I don't think anyone ever really "masters" turnout! :D We all work on it endlessly, no matter how much we have naturally. The alignment and weight placement and strength to control it is the main key, but still, there are some people who just do not have enough ability to make it even "good". Everyone can improve it, but how much is the question. Learning to really use what you have to the best of your ability, and use it ALL the time, is critical to making it look better while you keep working to improve it. But do not expect it to ever get "perfect" if it does not start out there.

The best way to improve it is through working slowly and very focused on the rotation in your tendus, and especially rond de jambe à terre. Tendu becomes your extention, so every position is critical.

I dont expect it to be perfect, i know it wont, however I do wish it to be better. I love ballet and would love to dance in a company but I feel my turnout could get in the way. It is nowhere to where most serious dancers/ professionals turnout is . I try so hard and it gets frusterating so i was hoping for some tips and exercises.

Thanks again

• Administrators

If you are serious about ballet, 3x a week is not even close to sufficient. But with your history of classes, stopping, then starting again with all types of dance, it sounds like you have not had enough work in ballet to make the progress in rotation that you need. Other forms of dance are great to do, but they need to be in addition to daily ballet, if that is your focus.

If you are serious about ballet, 3x a week is not even close to sufficient. But with your history of classes, stopping, then starting again with all types of dance, it sounds like you have not had enough work in ballet to make the progress in rotation that you need. Other forms of dance are great to do, but they need to be in addition to daily ballet, if that is your focus.

I do blame it alot on my stop and starting, I wish i hadnt but financial problems and being confused on what i wanted to do in life got in the way. The college i go only had us do that many classes as freshmen. next year we take 4 ballet classes and 3 pointe classes which i hope will help more. ( those will all be a 1.5 each) do you think that will be better for my training or should i be signing up for more? Ballet is my concentration but I do other forms of dance to be well rounded and because i enjoy those types too.

• Administrators

4 tech and 3 pointe is certainly better than 3 total. Let's hope it will be enough. It will be better, definitely, but if there is more you can take, then take it.