Ballet Talk for Dancers

Ballet schools in North Carolina - Raleigh area

Guest maggieee2

Guest maggieee2

I currently live in Wisconsin, and for about 5 years I have been dancing at a serious ballet school. It is all classical ballet, and classes are about 2 hours and three times a week, and once you reach a certain level you can be accepted into their Youth Ballet program and then you have 2 performances a year. Its a full blown performance with long rehearsals and tickets and everything. I love where I dance and how serious it is. Its pretty small but many of us go to SIs in different areas (SFB, Kaatsbaan, MBS) Unfortunately, I am moving to North Carolina, near Raleigh and was wondering if there are any similar ballet schools in that area? I don't want to go to an arts school, like the NC School for the Arts, but I just want a serious ballet school like the one I'm at right now. Any suggestions?

Edited by maggieee2

The Raleigh School of Ballet has a serious classical ballet program with a Professional Division (by audition). The affiliate performance company is Raleigh Dance Theatre (RDT). RDT is a SERBA honor company. Membership is by audition for ages 12-High School. RDT has two major performances each year: "Storybook Tales" in the Fall, featuring original works that are child friendly, and "Spring Repertoire" which is a showcase of the company's technique. The performances are held at Fletcher Opera Theatre, one of two venues where Carolina Ballet performs. Last year, RDT also performed with the North Carolina Master Chorale and The Triangle Youth Philharmonic. Graduates of the school have gone on to careers with many different companies, and the more advanced dancers are routinely asked to perform "super" and some corps roles with Carolina Ballet.

I would agree with the previous post. Raleigh School of Ballet has an excellent reputation and it has excellent affiliations. The people there are also very welcoming. What more could you ask for?

I think there's another thread here somewhere about dance schools in the Triangle Area....

I moved to the area just under a year ago and was worried... and have been very very very happy. There are numerous excellent schools in the area. You'll enjoy it!

I would also recommend that you look at Triangle Youth Ballet and the Ballet School of Chapel Hill--different environment than RSB, but both offer excellent training (I go to Duke University and we have several students who came from those programs, all very well trained, and many of the Duke dance faculty are instructors at the Ballet School of Chapel Hill).

Guest maggieee2

Thanks for the helpful answers! I just wanted to add that I want to go to a great school but that I don't want to go into a company or anything once I'm done with high school. I love it for now and can handle serious training, but am not looking at getting into a company. Are these schools still suitable?

Also, does anybody have any information on the Cary Conservatory of Ballet, or know how it compares to you other suggestions?

Thank you!

• Administrators

Maggieee2, we do not allow comparisons between schools, however people who have knowledge of a school may state what kind of school it is, in terms of whether it is primarily ballet oriented, has a strong faculty, offers a lot classes, etc. What they cannot say is that any one school is better than another when using names of schools.

Maggieee2: Raleigh School of Ballet would still be suitable whether or not you want to dance professionally. Most of the dancers go on to college rather than to a company. Some have the intent to continue dancing in college, some not. Some go to a company and defer college. There's a little bit of everything. I'm sure this would be the case at the other schools that have been mentioned. All are good programs, by the way. We are fortunate to have so many great alternatives in the Triangle area.

At one time we thought we were moving to NC triangle area and looked very closely at Cary ballet. There is information about it in the schools thread. We felt like it would be a good match for my DD who is not intending on ballet after high school. But in the end we didn't move.

Again, all the schools are good. One of the teachers at Cary (who does a lot of choreography there) also teaches in Chapel Hill -- and I've seen a few of their dancers too.

There really is a wealth of options.