Ballet Talk for Dancers

Capezio new MT11 men's ballet tights

MikeENB

Capezio have replaced their MT10 (100% nylon – yuk!) men’s ballet tights with the nylon/lycra MT11. I have so far bought 3 pairs. Very good quality and fit, I even prefer them to m.stevens. The cheapest place to buy them in the UK is via the link below. They arrive in two days and come in a plain envelope. They will also ship to Europe. Sizing wise I am 5’ 10 ½ “ (179 cms) and take an X large where as I take a medium in m.stevens. If your size is not in stock, do check back because they seem to restock every week or so.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001W6Y...uot;>Capezio

Hi, Mike, and welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers. :)

We're glad of the consumer report, and no matter which side of the pond, good to hear that the old Capezio tights have gone the way of all flesh. I don't know anyone who had a good word for them. All we could do was make them less worse. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
...Sizing wise I am 5’ 10 ½ “ (179 cms) and take an X large where as I take a medium in m.stevens...

Speaking as someone who needs an XL in M. Stevens, that's a worry! I'm 6' 1" / 186cm, and I can get into a L if it's miliskin but cotton/lycra would be a problem, especially footed.

Size non-standards are getting to be a real pain. I bought a pullover shirt of thin nylon (souvenir of the adult dance camp at Richmond VA) which is a Small (must be a non-dancer size) and is more than large enough, while I wear the M. Stevens XL dance shirt which is pretty tight. Almost bought a pair of XL footless tights at a dance shop the other day because they seemed about the right length, came to just above the ankle - then I noticed they were not footless after all!

• 2 weeks later...
...Sizing wise I am 5’ 10 ½ “ (179 cms) and take an X large where as I take a medium in m.stevens...

Speaking as someone who needs an XL in M. Stevens, that's a worry! I'm 6' 1" / 186cm, and I can get into a L if it's miliskin but cotton/lycra would be a problem, especially footed.

Size non-standards are getting to be a real pain. I bought a pullover shirt of thin nylon (souvenir of the adult dance camp at Richmond VA) which is a Small (must be a non-dancer size) and is more than large enough, while I wear the M. Stevens XL dance shirt which is pretty tight. Almost bought a pair of XL footless tights at a dance shop the other day because they seemed about the right length, came to just above the ankle - then I noticed they were not footless after all!

wow I finaly figured out how to post here!

I have purchased two pair of them the m11's however I went by the size chart and got an LGE I should have gotten a XL I am 5'9" but they LGE are to short even for me!

They are nice tights but run short.

• 3 weeks later...

I orders a pair of the M11's in white. They are not opaque! I think less than MStevens. I did need to size up one size. They are no were near as good as the 3530's they discontinued three years ago. I just don't know who makes these decisions at Capezio. They just don't get it. Well the men's market is pretty small. I suppose we are not worth reasonable product development. :angry:

silvergreydancer... in what way is the M11 no where near as good as the 3530's? Is it just the opaqueness, or is it another issue?

I've come to believe that opaque white nylon/spandex tights are not possible. M Stevens are made of a completely different kind of fabric. Although they are opaque in a way that the nylon tights are not, they also have their disadvantages: they seem to me more like leggings than tights, and I've noticed the fabric is less durable than nylon.

• 1 month later...
silvergreydancer... in what way is the M11 no where near as good as the 3530's? Is it just the opaqueness, or is it another issue?

I've come to believe that opaque white nylon/spandex tights are not possible. M Stevens are made of a completely different kind of fabric. Although they are opaque in a way that the nylon tights are not, they also have their disadvantages: they seem to me more like leggings than tights, and I've noticed the fabric is less durable than nylon.

The 3530 were opaque. Tough to find in white tights for men. They had this creamy matte surface. the Meryl spandex fabric is practically indestructible. I have a pair that is 4 years old and they almost look new. They stayed in place. The foot was done with a sole type gusset that put the seams on the sides of the foot. Just all in all the best tights I've ever found to wear.

Harmonie just put out some new Meryl tights. I've ordered one pair to see what they are like. I'll report.

white tights are just one of those things you get used too. opaque is... relative. I found out from a discussion with friends that if you really need more opacity from white tights fast, wear a pair of black tights underneath. it's impossible to tell and looks good. But usually I just wear a pair of m. stevens and trust my audience will be serious enough to get over it lol

Gosh, if the new capezio size that small I'm just going to stick with M. stevens, I'm very tall.

Has anyone tried the mirella? I heard they were nice from the audience but i've never had a pair

Gosh, if the new capezio size that small I'm just going to stick with M. stevens, I'm very tall.

Has anyone tried the mirella? I heard they were nice from the audience but i've never had a pair

SwanPrince,

Capezio's MT11

Well, I did think they were not overly generous on the length dept. I got a medium and I'm 5'6" tall. I would think that anyone above 5'8' would find them too short.

Mirella

Again, I think you need to size up not because of the length if anything they are generous. They fit really tight if you buy the correct listed size and the foot is quite small. I hate too small feet in tights! the good news is they are opaque but I think you can only get them in off white not white. So if you are tall with short feet my may like them.

The new Harmonie HM720

Fit pretty well, not any more opaque that MStevens. The foot cut is odd. There are two darts and the center seam under the ball of the foot and toes. I haven't worn these to class so I'm not sure how that will be. I would guess, if you like feeling the floor, this seam arrangement might be a problem. The feet do fit well though. The waist band is cut quite small so if your hips are bigger than average you may have difficulty getting them on. the fabric feel more like the Mirella's. Maybe a bit smoother and thinner.

The interesting thing about MStevens is I had a pair that I got in 2000 for some theatre thing. I never used them. They got stuck in a black hole in one of my dressers and I found them the other day. they are thicker than the one I got a few months ago. Go figure.

Eurotard and Body Wrapper also make footed tights for men. Both tend to be thinner nylon spandex closer to the thickness of women's tights.

Bal-togs use a pretty thick nylon/spandex. I wore green pair as part of a costume, and they hid my hairy legs very well.