Ballet Talk for Dancers
Nenfijer

Ballet schools in Virginia - McLean area

Nenfijer

Hello everyone. I just joined as I am looking for recommendations for a Ballet School for my 5 year old daughter. She has already completed a pre-ballet class session in Washington, DC and seems to really like it, although the commute takes us 35+ minutes each way on a Saturday. Now that the class is over, I am seeking a professional school in or near McLean that can take her from pre-ballet to a more formal program as she matures.

I know there is James School of Dance and the Kintz-Mejia Academy of Ballet, but I cannot seem to find any recommendations from other parents or students. Can someone please give me some advice about these two schools and/or recommend any others I should be looking at?

Thank you in advance for your kind assistance.

Jennifer

Edited by Nenfijer

dancedreams

Nenfijer:

My daughter attended ballet schools in the Falls Church, McLean & Arlington area for 15 years. She is now a college sophomore majoring in ballet performance. Unfortunately I believe you have just missed the recital season, attending a school's recital or Nutcracker performance can be helpful in assessing whether the training offered will meet your needs. My advice for you would be to visit the Arlington Center for Dance, now located in Falls Church and view their classes. (Because of their recent move from Arlington to FC I believe they are also changing the name to NOVA Center for Dance) ACD also offers summer programs for all age groups. If you are absolutely married to a program in McLean, visit Kintz-Mejia. It is my understanding based upon the experience of my daughter's friends at K-M that the higher level program does not offer the number of hours of training that ACD does. Good Luck. I wish you could PM me, but you don't have enough posts.

Victoria Leigh

Hello Ninfiger, welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers :P

Actually, 35 minutes in the DC area is not considered very much, in that it can take that long to go almost anywhere! :o I would suggest that you look seriously at Washington Ballet and Maryland Youth Ballet, which is in Bethesda. It's really not a bad drive from McLean to either one of them. :)

cheetah

We've had several families from McLean go to CBA in Herndon. Depending on where you are in McLean it's a surprisingly short trip. There's another studio between McLean and Herndon, though. It's in Reston, but I can't recall the name. I tried a google search and couldn't find it, but I'll ask around later this week. The daughter of one of our friends goes there and they live in Great Falls. It is NOT Reston Conservatory, though that might be an option for you. This one is closer to you and focuses on Cechetti. WSB is probably a shorter drive, though. Again, depending on where you live. Maryland Youth Ballet is now on the other side of the city in Silver Spring - quite a drive from where you're at.

Several studios have summer programs, including programs for younger children. I know that CBA, Reston Conservatory, and Arlington Center for Dance are planning to do so.

The good thing for now is that your daughter is young so the class hours are not in prime rush hour!!!

Victoria Leigh

Cheetah, thanks for picking up on my mistake about MYB. I totlly forgot that they had moved from Bethesda to Silver Spring! :unsure:

Nenfijer
Cheetah, thanks for picking up on my mistake about MYB. I totlly forgot that they had moved from Bethesda to Silver Spring! :bash:

Thank you everyone. I did notice that MYB was is Silver Spring and not Bethesda when I mapped it from the house.

Honestly, I am just looking for a good school with somewhat serious instruction just to see if my 5 year old daughter continues to have an interest. I actually signed her up at the local community center and pulled her on Sunday after one class because it was so informal, unorganized and the girls were running wild. But, with that said, I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on a school before she displays a strong interest or even a talent. Right now, she says she loves ballet, but she's 5, that could change tomorrow. I was quoted at one school over $2,000 for a 10 month year of classes. Right now, I think that is a lot for a 5 year old...or is this a standard rate?

Is there anything out there that is relatively close by and structured, but won't cost a small fortune.

Thank you again for your kind assistance.

cheetah

Yes - there are places. Many places go month by month. Where exactly are you in McLean - inside the beltway or outside, more like Great Falls? Your exact location would better help us give you an idea of a good commute/drive. And you can definitely beat $2000 a year. Just looking at CBA's website, they do their children's classes by session - fall, winter, spring. Classes are only 45 minutes, though. The first session has the most classes - Saturdays in the fall. Tuition is $160. I know in the past they've had a very structured program for the young ones. WSB has creative movement at 5 and pre-ballet starting at 6. They are both under $700 for one year. But that's one class a week. Maybe for $2000 a year they had multiple classes a week!? If you search on the other studios we've listed, hopefully you can find additional/similar information. I know not all of them have that information up, though.

Nenfijer

Hi there Cheetah,

I am just inside the beltway. The $2,000+ school was 2 classes per week. I am looking for a structure ballet class, once a week is fine. Is she turns out to be good at it and continue to love the class in a years time, I will consider adding more classes. I don't really want to travel too far. Her former class was near the Cathedral and it took 30 minutes each way on a saturday, plus waiting time, which I think it a bit much for us as age five. She has other activities (soccer/swimming) so I don't want long drives.

What is CBA?

Now that you know I'm inside the beltway, do you have any strong suggestions?

Thank you so much for your kind assistance!

cheetah

Inside the beltway you're really better off looking at WSB or maybe Arlington Center for Dance. WSB is awkward to get to (it's north of the cathedral) because you have to swing around the GW Parkway to the Beltway to River Road. The only other altnernative is the Parkway and through Georgetown then north on Wisconsin. CBA is Classical Ballet Academy. You would go up Hwy 7 (towards Leesburg) and then exit at Fairfax County Parkway. I haven't been able to find the other school in Reston, which is may be a few miles closer than CBA.

Sorry but I don't know of anything closer to you!

dancedreams

Nenfijer:

I agree with Cheetah that if you are inside the Beltway in Mclean, given the age of your daughter, Arlington Center for Dance could work for you. ACD has lots of Mclean students who looked for quality dance education but just couldn't face the drive back into DC. (Most families have at least one parent working in DC) From inside the beltway Falls Church- just outside the Mclean line- we had found the easiest route to the WSB/Cathedral area was over Chain Bridge and then past AU, but Chain Bridge just began a re- construction (which is supposed to last a long time) that has closed several lanes of the bridge. The Chain Bridge construction has added additional traffic to the other routes Cheetah mentioned....

If you are anywhere near the beltway or I66 we have found taking 66 to the East Falls Church or Glebe exits and then swinging down south to be the quickest way to ACD, it would still average 20 to 30 minutes for you.

Regarding the tuition at ACD, the online brochure for the 2009 Spring Semester indicated that a Pre-Ballet class one day a week cost $323 for 19 weeks of instruction. Good Luck!

cheetah

Traffic will always be problematic in this area! That's why thirty minutes is really not that bad! Take some test drives and see what works for you!