Ballet Talk for Dancers

July celebrations

Redbookish

Here's the celebrations thread for July!

And hoping that even in the southern hemisphere, deep in mid-winter, there's sunshine in the ballet studio.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dancepig

• ami1436

• Serendipity

• Reebs511

Aww, Redbookish has reminded me that it's July... so I'm reposting, but with some additions....

I've been on a bit of a retail therapy kick regarding dancewear -- when I posted on the June thread I reported that one of the new leos I ordered had come in (UPS) and fit like a dream. Wahoo!

However... since then... I've received two more leos (gorgeous!), so I've got those, my new pointe shoes (I'm a virtual fashion show!), plus I went for the double piques en pointe yesterday (Lilac Fairy variation) and managed a few, AND got told that I have nice feet. ME? Nice feet? man.

Pass the bubbly -- July is looking up! :)

I shall pass it with pleasure. Had my first private lesson today which was mostly pointe, following on from the intensive class just before it, which had ended with about 20 mins of pointe.

The teacher shared some very important insights into what she saw me do in the regular class, and then had me work on those aspects. THEN, she made me come off the barre and do some stuff in the center.

Her comment was "Don't be so down on yourself - this is the first time I've seen you do center work in months!" Then I was given a combo to do in the center specifically to work on roll-through and that issue spoken of above, and, after the first, very shaky time, I imagined myself back in my very first studio, doing this sort of thing regularly, and pulled it off very well!

It was only a simple combo, but considering the lack of pointe work in the past year, I felt very ON with it. I hope that makes some sense!! My toes are aching (I found a new toe to tape! LOL!) and one ankle isn't all that happy with the extra work, but I'm thrilled I could do it!!

YAY! *crosses fingers that everything holds together for the camp time!*

On an unrelated note, I went to a spinning class for the first time in about 8 months. When I finished, my hips felt soooo loose and relaxed! They'd been painfully tight over the past several weeks. I'm going to make sure to go at least once a week now. :-)

*shares more bubbly with aimee*

Way to go with the pointe work Serendipity!

It's a holiday here today (Canada Day) so I was able to get a class in - with Mom-in-law taking care of the little one - I am so thankful for that! It was either the parade or a ballet class....and yup, I went for the ballet class. How could I resist?

On holidays, at a particular studio, they always hold a late morning class and it is usually quite busy (I think we had at least 30 in class). Even though it is just an intermediate class, there are always a smattering of pro dancers at the holiday classes. Which I know in the past, I would have been intimidated by - but now I love it! There were some beautiful dancers! Some of the girls put their pointes on for centre work, they were lovely, and watching the pro men leap and spin across the room is always awesome! I felt so inspired dancing across the floor with some of these girls, I know I look nothing like them....but it was still inspirational, and I truly feel like they made me dance better.

A fantastic way to start out the month of July!

Well done, you, Dancecat! I know what you mean about feeling intimidated. I took a class tonight and was very nervous about it, as it was at a studio with a good reputation. It was a teen intermediate class but it looked like there were people of higher ages than teens in it. The exercises were, to me, more advanced beginner level but I liked that I was able to work on some of the balance and body issues. I liked the teacher. She's teaching the pointe class I'm going to on Friday. She also said that I could probably cope with the advanced teen class that's on Saturday.

Let's see.... *Counts on fingers*.... with the private lessons, it gives me 16 actual ballet hours a week. Add in at least an hour of gym cross-training on most of those days and all I have to say is if I DON'T end up thinner by the end of the summer, then something's REALLY wrong! :yes:

Ah well. Must go to bed now! It's so thrilling when you get a good class, isn't it?

And hoping that even in the southern hemisphere, deep in mid-winter, there's sunshine in the ballet studio.

Today was the first sunny day we've had in weeks. It was cold, but at least fine enough to go to the park for a walk with the dog.

I won staff member of the month at my work this month, got paid a bonus, and saw some amazing results from some long hard work. So that's kinda made up for the downer i had (see Wine Couch)

Less than 1 month till Canada!

My celebration is very minor but I'm finally back to class on a regular basis after what feels like essentially nearly all of June off.

What do you mean "minor"?!? To me, that would be very major! Well done!

I'm literally the only person in my office today so by 10am I'd finished all my work and spent the rest of the day watching ballet clips on youtube. Then I remembered you can watch some movies on-line via Netflix, so the afternoon was spent watching Etoiles, a documentary on the Paris Opera Ballet.

It's definitely major to me too, just not as exciting in terms of cool accomplishments. It's more like a month-long whine that has finally come to an end, lol.

I join your retail therapy today, Ami... with 3 leos from Mirella's Jozette line (so gorgeous) and other basic blacks. And a new ballet slipper.

Also, I took the entire intermediate ballet class for the first time in a long time... I've been running away after barre but decide to stick it out this time, ignoring voices from my ego telling me I look silly.

One of mine is a Jozette one as well -- and it fits so well. Usually, I just can't wait to wear new stuff.... but this one, I love so much, that I'm waiting for a day when I need to feel 'special'.... :thumbsup: We all have those days!

I'm literally the only person in my office today so by 10am I'd finished all my work and spent the rest of the day watching ballet clips on youtube. Then I remembered you can watch some movies on-line via Netflix, so the afternoon was spent watching Etoiles, a documentary on the Paris Opera Ballet.

Why not take a pair of ballet slippers to work with you and when you're on your own, do a bit of barre work, as well? *grin*

I was in the car repair place today writing down the barre work from the intensive I'm in - got some strange looks as occasionally a foot would move or an arm would flail to try to remember what we did! LOL!

Also, I took the entire intermediate ballet class for the first time in a long time... I've been running away after barre but decide to stick it out this time, ignoring voices from my ego telling me I look silly.

I take off my glasses so that I can't see myself. Helps a lot in these cases! LOL!

I'm not sure if I should put this here or in the wine section....

Had my first real pointe class today. I just BARELY kept up with it. It's supposed to be beginner but these girls have been on pointe for up to two years, in some cases. The barre was SOOO hard - strength-wise, that is. But at the end, when I approached the teacher and told her I felt really far behind, she said not to worry, that I would catch up and that these girls aren't as advanced as I perceived them to be.

My toes were numb.... It was a GOOD class!!!