Ballet Talk for Dancers

Straightening Knees

Dance with all your heart

I realize that the issue of not having straight knees has been the topic of numerous posts, but I can't seem to find any of them right now, and I'm pretty sure this questions has not been asked.

I know you have mentioned the exercise where you put a tennis ball under your knee and try to flatten it. Unfortunately, I can't find anyone who has a "dead" tennis ball. I guess I could buy a tennis ball and bounce it until it becomes soft, but I was wondering if there was another object that would work similarly. Or, are there any other exercises.

PS. I am neither hyper- nor hypo- extended. I just have problems keeping my knees straight. I usually can't tell that they're bent until I look in the mirror or my teacher tells me to straighten my knees.

• Administrators

Just find a rubber ball that is not too hard and not too soft. The exercise helps you to feel the knees straight and makes you use the quads. Don't forget to flex your feet while doing the exercise. :)

• Administrators

One of our members also says that a rolled up towel works just fine too! :thumbsup:

• Administrators

Sorry, tipo'thetoes, but you will need to post that question on a parents board or the Nutrition and Health board. No parents allowed on Young Dancer forums!