Ballet Talk for Dancers

adult recital in nyc

purplyneshie

I've been taking classes at the Joffrey Ballet School for about a year and a half and I'm just wondering if there are schools in NYC that let the students perform?? I just want to experience the whole recital thing...if someone could just tell me please.... :)

• Administrators

Hello purpleyneshie, welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers. :)

Are you asking specifically about adult students performing in recitals? I do not know of any, but perhaps some of our NYC adult students will know of one. It is not terribly common for the adult students to perform in the children/teen's recitals, but, that doesn't mean that it never happens. :unsure:

My school allowed me to perform in our school's recital and I was declared by my little one as "you looked like you were one of the girls" - so it's possible. You'll need to really check around, though.

I take classes at a school affiliated with a small, regional company and some adult students are asked to perform character roles in their annual full-length ballet. It's not a lot of dancing, but always exciting to be on stage with big-name professionals.

I have heard that sometimes Joffery allows adult students to play some of the Parent roles in their Nutcracker. You might want to ask them about this. Other than that, I don't know of any school in NYC that has recital opportunities for adult students. If you find one, please let us know. I would love that!

Ballet Arts at City Center (http://balart.com) enrolls only adult students. Many of them are very young adults, but adults none the less. Some are preparing (a couple years late) for a professional career, others are dancing for other reasons. They have periodic student performances. I would go there and ask around. I would especially talk with Carol Sumner, who regularly teaches choreography as part of her class.

Kat Wildish also holds choreography workshops, which include performances in the Ailey Studios at the end of each one.

• 2 weeks later...
Ballet Arts at City Center (http://balart.com) enrolls only adult students. Many of them are very young adults, but adults none the less. Some are preparing (a couple years late) for a professional career, others are dancing for other reasons. They have periodic student performances. I would go there and ask around. I would especially talk with Carol Sumner, who regularly teaches choreography as part of her class.

Kat Wildish also holds choreography workshops, which include performances in the Ailey Studios at the end of each one.

wow thanks for the info ill try and go to ballet arts and try it out thank you so much