Ballet Talk for Dancers
Momof3darlings

A very special article

Momof3darlings

I thought this was very special!

Frederic Franklin still on stage at 95

dancepig

Thank you for this wonderful article! I've printed it out and will give a copy to my dance teacher on Wednesday. She will be 84 years young next month. This will make her feel like a school-girl! Thanks again.

angiered

Oh, that's so fun! Thank you for sharing!!

Clara 76

Ok, maybe it's just my PC but that link takes me to Facebook.... :wink:

Doubleturn

Me too!

diane

me, too.. and no mention of franklin.

-d-

dancepig

When you get to the face book section, hit the "continue" button. You don't need to log in. It will take you to the article from the New York Post. If you don't want to go through the link, you could also go to www.nypost.com and do a search for "Ballet's Ageless Icon Back Onstage", by Leigh Witchel, yes Witchel, not Mitchel.

Hope this helps!

dance1soccer1

At a Goodwill store last year my husband found a book containing a Freddie Franklin section. Can't remember the title, but it was a general dance book. There was also a PBS special last year with a section on him, with wonderful old female dancers talking about how "all the girls" were so in love with him and what a fantastic partner he is. My DD is a HUGE Franklin fan now!

Victoria Leigh

Freddy Franklin is one of those very special, almost magical, people. He walks into a room and lights it up. He is an ABT treasure, and one of ballet's greatest treasures. He taught company classes during my years in ABT, and no one has ever made a class more enjoyable! The company was always happy when Freddy was teaching or coaching or rehearsing a ballet. I was blessed to have had the opportunity to know and work with him, along with a number of other icons in my generation of ABT. I so wish I could be there for this performance of R&J.

By the way, just in case anyone did not realize it, Leigh Witchel, who wrote the article in the Post, is our own Leigh, who has been with Ballet Talk from the beginning when it was Ballet Alert and all one board. He is an administrator on our sister board, Ballet Talk. :wink: Wonderful article, Leigh!!! :thumbsup:

jimpickles

"He is an ABT treasure ..."

but a Brit really, under the skin.

Once a Brit, always a Brit (maybe).

Jim.

Victoria Leigh

He is a BALLET WORLD treasure, Jim! :wink:

dancepig
By the way, just in case anyone did not realize it, Leigh Witchel, who wrote the article in the Post, is our own Leigh, who has been with Ballet Talk from the beginning when it was Ballet Alert and all one board. He is an administrator on our sister board, Ballet Talk. biggrin.gif Wonderful article, Leigh!!! thumbsup.gif

Wow, this place is amazing. Congrats Leigh!

MickeyFan

I was completely charmed by him after watching the documentary called Ballet Russes. That summer I was able to see ABT do Romeo and Juliet. I did not know beforehand, but the second the Friar stepped on the stage, I just knew that was the very same man - and it is not like I was sitting center orchestra either. His large personality carried all the way to the rafters! Of course the rest of the audience already knew what was coming, and he got a huge welcome of applause with his entrance. That was a very memorable character performance - oh and the dancing was pretty cool too :devil:

ami1436

Heads up -- an announcement on the sister site notes that there will be a segment on Franklin on tonight's CBS evening news. :)

Momof3darlings

Here is a link to a photo as well. I can't find the one Mr. Schiavone put up on his Facebook feed which is more of Mr. Franklin and more head on but I couldn't find that one on Mr. Schiavone's site.

Mr. Franklin on stage