Ballet Talk for Dancers

Beginners Classes in Washington DC area

wellpoint

Washington School of Ballet in Cleveland Park and Maryland Youth Ballet in Silver Spring both offer classes for adult beginners. You might also try Joy of Motion, which has studios in several locations, including Friendship Heights and Dupont Circle. Good luck and enjoy!

Washington School of Ballet in Cleveland Park and Maryland Youth Ballet in Silver Spring both offer classes for adult beginners. You might also try Joy of Motion, which has studios in several locations, including Friendship Heights and Dupont Circle. Good luck and enjoy!

Thanks! I hope these places are adult friendly. I know I will be embarassed! Where is a good place to buy shoes?

I've been to WSB and Joy of Motion's Dupont location, and they are both definitely adult-friendly. :clapping: For shoes, you might try Artistic Dance Fashions in Bethesda.

I've done drop-in classes at Advanced Beginner level at Joy of Motion when I'm in DC for work, and have found it very friendly there (people say hello & chat in the dressing rooms -- not a "scene" at all!), and good teaching. If you're starting again, you might like to try the Beginner level, but you'll be surprised at how quickly your muscle memory returns.

Joy of Motion

Maryland Youth Ballet

Washington School of Ballet

I did some research on ballet studios in DC area at one point, thinking I might move there. It seemed to me that the metro area is so large, that getting one convenient to where you live or work would be advantageous. There's a decent-looking place in Tyson's Corner, and also one closer to the Ballston stop.

You’re very fortunate to be looking for adult classes in the DC area. As has been suggested, there are a number of area studios that offer excellent adult classes. In case you’re new to the area, davidg is correct that it is large and convenience to your location can be a major consideration of which studio you choose, depending on where you’re located.

I’m not exactly sure of which studios on the Virginia side davidg was referring to but BalletNOVA (in the process of changing their name from Arlington Center for Dance) is relatively close in and has a complete adult program.

BalletNOVA

Those suggested here are best known and offer the most complete adult programs but you may also find smaller studios that offer adult classes that might fit your needs also. You may want to try taking drop-in classes at several to find the one that works for you best. Also, you will find adults of all backgrounds in the beginner classes here. You will have no need to feel any embarrassment at all!

• 3 years later...

I'm visiting DC for work in February and am amazed at the amount of open classes in DC!!! WOW!!! Can't wait. :)

I'm visiting DC for work in February and am amazed at the amount of open classes in DC!!! WOW!!! Can't wait. :)

I left DC in May and miss my ballet classes terribly! If you can, definitely head to BalletNova and try to take one of Constance Walsh's classes. She's amazing!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still excited about classes in February, but am aghast at the cost of a single open class-- $19!!! $17!!! whoa. that's expensive. am I out of the loop to suggest that these prices are inflated?

• 2 weeks later...