Ballet Talk for Dancers

quill

Hi all,

Looking at post high school plans for a dancer is like solving a rubik's cube, I feel. If this, then this, but better do this, in case of this, then defer this....eek. So in our travels, we have stumbled across Dickinson College in Carlisle, PA. It is a liberal arts college which is fairly competitive, and offers an dance/theater major/minor. What intrigues me is that their ballet appears to be through CPYB:

Ballet Instruction I, II, III, IV Open to students with previous experience in ballet who wish to continue ballet instruction at one of four levels: I. the basic level; II. the intermediate level, open to students who demonstrate a basic technique; III. the advanced level, open to students who demonstrate substantial technical skill; IV. the performance level, open to students competent to perform ballet. One-half or one course may be taken each semester. Placement by audition at the Central Pennsylvania Youth Ballet, where all classes are held. Each course may be repeated for credit with permission of the instructor.

Has anyone had any experience with this program? I'm curious as to whether these students are integrated into the regular student body of CPYB or if the classes are separate, and whether it seems like a workable way to continue ballet at a high level while attending college. I intend to ask these questions of the school, of course, but I am curious as to anyone's real life experience.

Thanks.

Arizona Native

Hi Quill -- there are a few entries about this in the CPYB archives. Students generally find that the full-meal-deal CPYB program is not compatible with full-time college. It is more a matter of "taking class," rather than a college ballet program like Indiana, Pointe Park, TCU and the like. The college students are placed as any other student, within the CPYB population. The CPYB folks would be happy to talk with you, no doubt.

Dickinson is a wonderful school that is placing a lot of emphasis on international experience and knowledge.

Best wishes in finding a good match for your daughter.

luvmiballerina

Is the ballet at Dickinson still through CPYB? Any current info on the school?

quill

Hi luvmiballerina,

I did end up corresponding with the head of the dance department at Dickinson to get my questions answered--she is very responsive and helpful. In the end, my dd did not end up being interested in this college so we dropped it and I can't even remember any of the details except that we found the professor to be extremely forthcoming with information about the program. I'd drop her an e-mail for specifics.

luvmiballerina

Thank you, quill. DD is only a sophomore, but we are already working on an early listing of schools we may want to visit.

mydarlindancer

http://www.dickinson.edu/news-and-events/n...dvancing-Dance/

Dickinson, Central Pennsylvania Youth Ballet Offer New Certificate Program, Courses

by Bill Sulon

December 7, 2010

Marcia Dale Weary, founder and artistic director of Central Pennsylvania Youth Ballet, will direct instruction for high-level courses in the new Dickinson-CPYB certificate program. She is shown here instructing youth ballet students. Established in 1955 by Weary, CPYB is a nationally and internationally recognized school of classical ballet.

Dickinson College and the Central Pennsylvania Youth Ballet (CPYB) have taken their strong relationship to the next level by offering a new certificate program and new specialized courses in ballet and dance.

mydarlindancer

http://www.dickinson.edu/news-and-events/n...dvancing-Dance/

Dickinson, Central Pennsylvania Youth Ballet Offer New Certificate Program, Courses

by Bill Sulon

December 7, 2010

Marcia Dale Weary, founder and artistic director of Central Pennsylvania Youth Ballet, will direct instruction for high-level courses in the new Dickinson-CPYB certificate program. She is shown here instructing youth ballet students. Established in 1955 by Weary, CPYB is a nationally and internationally recognized school of classical ballet.

Dickinson College and the Central Pennsylvania Youth Ballet (CPYB) have taken their strong relationship to the next level by offering a new certificate program and new specialized courses in ballet and dance.

pasdedeuxmama

I can't speak for the dance program, but academically this is an incredible school.

firedragon0800

pasdedeuxmama, I am curious as to the academics of this school, can you shed any more light? I was really impressed with the campus and facilities, but since dd is only 13 it is a little bit early to be thinking along these lines, but I am curious just the same.

MattieR

firedragon0800 I've been looking at Dickinson, I had friends who went and they found the environment challenging but supportive, lots of faculty interaction and research opportunities as well as international experiences. I'm hoping to transfer in my sophomore year assuming I get in to university this year *fingers crossed*

pasdedeuxmama

Hi firedragon0800! I attended and graduated from the school (quite a bit ago). I've been extremely impressed by changes and updates they've made since I graduated (new science center, updates to library, attention to "green" environment like recycling, alternative power, and farming. You can read about all of that in the school magazine, website and blog.

My personal experience is that when I arrived, we were told that Dickinson's goal was to teach us how to think - not what to think - but how to collect information, analyze it, and communicate our thoughts about the topic. I left Dickinson with an extremely well-rounded education, from chemistry to art history, even though I was an International Studies major. I had a wonderful study abroad experience. The culminating experience of my major was a 50 page thesis and an oral examination, about all the topics that we'd learned in the major, by a panel of professors in the department.

Work was always challenging and we were expected to deliver to the highest standards. Graduates of the college are well-regarded in a number of professions. There is a deep commitment to many areas of interest and study, including the arts, science and international studies. Every Wednesday, students can enjoy a free arts presentation, ranging from a performance by a Music major to Chinese opera. I had friends who had demanding classes in the Physics and Geology departments, friends who studied English (one talented classmate wrote the screenplay to this past summer's hit 'Now You See Me'.)

If your student is a thinker and wants to deeply explore an academic area, while studying in the arts, this is a great place to do it. I encourage you to read the school website for more current news - they are always doing something impressive.

Moxie

Any new information on how the program is going?  

Moxie

Checking back

autumnrose

To reply to Moxie's questions about Dickinson and CPYB-it is difficult to imagine a collaboration between Dickinson and CPYB that would allow the dancer to be "integrated" in any real way to the type of instruction that CPYB offers its year-round students. The dancers in the regular syllabus dance an amazing amount of hours and are expected to be in the studio 6+ days per week.  I think it would be realistic to be able to take "open" style classes during one's time at Dickinson (from CPYB faculty), which would allow a dancer to keep up something they enjoy and get a glimpse of the way CPYB faculty teaches, but it would probably not be realistic to expect the amount of attention or improvement in those "open classes" to allow for real progression.

Moxie

Thanks autumnrose, I'd given up hope someone might respond!  He went ahead and applied ED and he should find out within the next week.  Hopeful he gets in and gets to keep dancing!