Ballet Talk for Dancers

College or Trainee Program

angela92

I'm 17 and I've been attending a pre-pro school since I was 12. The fall semester is approaching and now I have to make a choice between college or Trainee programs (I've got a place in Joffrey Ballet NY and Lines)! I understand that perhaps it's now or never for me to pursue a career in ballet, but I'm not sure if I want to do that. Please help!

(I don't know if this is the right place to post so please move this post if necessary! Thanks!)

I think you just answered your own question......

Follow your gut instinct.

Dear Ms. Clara,

Thank you. I think you are right, I'm probably going to Lines. Although I'll hate to leave New York. :blushing:

This is one of the most difficult things about becoming an adult; decision-making. When you're a child, it's all black and white. When you're an adult, there are always shades of grey....

You've got 2 really good options there, which is both a wonderful place to find yourself and a challenging one at the same time. Now, I'm going to try to take away the 'Lines/Joffrey, either/or' aspect of the equation for a moment. You said you don't want to leave NY so what about broadening your scope to include something that would allow you to stay in NY but you'd be going to college and taking ballet classes at Steps, or BDC, or somewhere else you might enjoy???

How does that sound to you? If you felt a sense of relief in your body when you read that then perhaps that is a way to go. The one thing I can tell you is that there are no bad decisions; any of your choices will work out because you made the decision!!

Keep us posted on how things go. I know you will find your way. :blushing:

Oops! A parent wandered here by mistake. The advice they gave was good though, so here it is:

One other option to consider is to go thru the college application process while HS academics, essay & analytical writing skills, test-taking skills, etc are still fresh in your mind (and get the SATs, SAT IIs and/or ACT tests out of the way), then ask the college of your choice for a deferral. Some colleges will even grant a second year's deferment if the reason is acceptable (with being a ballet trainee or apprentice a perfectly valid reason). Note that you should ask about the college's deferment policy beforehand.

Then you have a backup plan if the pursuit of a professional career after the trainee or apprenticeship doesn't work out as planned.