Ballet Talk for Dancers

Pre-Pro Schools

Guest songbird*faerie

Guest songbird*faerie

Hi~! I live in Toronto, and I'm interested in auditioning for Pre-Professional schools around my area. I just turned 13, and I'm taking my RAD Intermediate Foundation exam in a few weeks. Is it too late to audition for a pre-pro school, because there were some younger girls in my school that got into National Ballet School when they were 8. Just out of curiosity... are all Pre-Professional schools full time (i.e you live there and attend school there)?

Thanks~

• Administrators

Welcome to the Young Dancers' forum on Ballet Alert! Online, Songbird*faerie!

Professional schools are not all full time academies. Some are and some are not, just as some of them are connected to professional companies and some are not. The National Ballet School is a very fine school, as is the company. I don't know a lot about their admission policies, but that would not be hard to find out by just visiting their website. We also have a number of members here who know more about this school, and I'm sure they will chime in and help us out. I would certainly never think that 13 is too late to enter that school! You will need to audition for them, of course. It might be important to attend their summer program. I think if you scroll through the topics list you will find some discussion on the National Ballet School and other full time academies and professional schools.

Guest ballet_shalom_forever

songbird - I'm not 100% sure but I don't think students under the age of 10 are admitted at the National Ballet School - the oldest you can be to audition for that school is 18 or so i read on the website a few months ago. Also, if you are 13 and under you don't need any experience to audition. Maybe I'm wrong, i'm so then sorry for misleading you.

The National Ballet School has a junior associates program that takes younger children. The professional division starts at Grade 6 and is a combined ballet and academic program. Students entering Grade 5 can audition for the summer program only.

Website address is: www.nationalballetschool.org

• Administrators

I have let the previous post remain here, even though it is from a Mom, because it is relevant information and also the web address for the school in question. Thank you for posting it, balletmom311, but I would like to request that anyone who is not a teen and has pertinent information on a topic please request permission for posting on the Young Dancers forum, or send the information to me or to Mel via PM and we will post it. Thank you! :)

Guest songbird*faerie

Thanks for everyone's help~! I think I should call or e-mail the National Ballet School for some more detailed information. :)

Guest songbird*faerie

Just out of curiosity....

Is there anyone that has auditioned or is currently attending the National Ballet School (of Canada.)? What were your experiences like?

Guest gwschloss

NBS was really fun. I enjoyed my time there and I loved the facilities. NBS takes kids depending on what grade you are going into. They have a residence, but they also have a program for kids going to the school, but living outside the school. Don't worry about your age, you're plenty young...and you're taking intermediate foundation. WOW! Just audition. They'll tell you right at the audition if you got in or not, or wait-listed. Good luck! If you have any more questions, just write.