Ballet Talk for Dancers
balletbooster

Videos: Dance School - Juilliard Documentary

balletbooster

My PBS channel just ran this three part documentary. I think it came out about a year ago. It was about the graduating class of 2006, I think.

I thought it did a great job of showing the tremendous challenges that dance students face, on a personal level, when they are involved in a serious pre-pro training experience. It certainly didn't sugar coat it or make it seem glamorous. Looked like hard, hard work, mixed in with all the young adult fun and angst that both lightens the load and makes training for professional dance more difficult at various junctures.

Anyone else see this, perhaps when it first came out?

hippiechicken

Sounds like the same series that was on the Documentary Channel. It was called Dance School: Julliard (with Juilliard spelled wrong).

My dd and I watched it. I thought it would encourage her to look into Juilliard, but it actually did the opposite.

balletbooster

Yes, that is the name! I can see why it might discourage some. As I said, it didn't sugar coat the experience at all. :o

I'm going to correct the name of this thread and maybe others will join the discussion. That's funny about the wrong spelling in the title! :)

MBF

I've watched it but my D has not. I enjoyed it a lot. I knew that Julliard was more modern based so not really anything my D will be looking toward auditioning for. However, I specifically enjoyed the follow up information about where the students were able to gain employment upon graduation.

ddm3

I have seen this. It is very realistic and shows just how intense it is to be a student at Juilliard. I know that my daughter relates to the young man at the end of he video who talked about how excited he was to be graduating, as the school/faculty had put him through a lot during his years at the school! The tall boy Cory is at Lines Ballet. My daughter's friend has joined North Carolina Dance Theatre this season as a full company member. While the school aims to create a "fusion" dancer (one who is versatile) there are many very good ballet trained dancers there who will likely seek jobs in contemporary ballet companies versus the companies who still perform a lot of classical rep.

Clara 76

Thanks for the link, danceonpointe!

robynn

I just noticed that this three part documentary series is airing tonight on the Ovation channel, and will be re-airing various times during the month of September.

From the description: "Dance School: Juilliard is a three part documentary series offering a behind-the-scenes look at one of the world's most prestigious dance schools, as it follows the dance seniors at the Juilliard School who are preparing for their final dance performances and lives in the real world. The series progresses chronologically throughout the school year and focuses on the bonds shared by this class of sixteen, as well as the reality of what it means to pursue a passion in the arts."

If you don't have Ovation, it appears that you can purchase the DVD of the program online at the Dance School Juilliard documentary's website.

- robynn

boxwoodgirl

Thank you very much for posting this. I went to the website, and the film looks fabulous! I will be tuning in. Thanks again for the info. ~boxwoodgirl

dcns

We were excited to see it last night! We even caught a glimpse of a dancer we know who won the Princess Grace Award a few years ago. We will be watching Part 1 and Part 3 later this week when it's on at 8:00.

danceschooljuilliard
We were excited to see it last night! We even caught a glimpse of a dancer we know who won the Princess Grace Award a few years ago. We will be watching Part 1 and Part 3 later this week when it's on at 8:00.

Hi All,

I just came across this blog & wanted to write in. My name is Elyse Sara and I co-produced this documentary. Thank you all so much for your support of the program. If any of you have any questions about it, I would be more than happy to answer them.

Best,

Elyse

clairlea

We had heard so much about this documentary and tried in vain to locate it in the past. After ds was accepted at Juilliard, the attempts began again in earnest, again to no avail. However, recently I have located it on youtube. I hope this is acceptable to post. (And that this works) Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz_HG6q4FOM...feature=channel

csm08g

Hi Elyse,

I have been searching everywhere for this documentary but have been unable to find it. I have gone to http://www.eyeopenerproductions.com/ but the contact link leads to a page that is no longer found and the email provided no longer exists. I am very interested in purchasing the documentary but do not know who to contact or how. Please let me know if there is a way I can do this.

Please feel free to contact me through {. . . }

Thank you!

Chelsea