Ballet Talk for Dancers

Discount Dance Catalog

MJ

There was no Mens/Boys page in the Discount dance catalog I received. So i plan on boycotting DDS.

I usually order through a local dance store. If they don't carry something in stock, they usually have all the current catalogs, as they order in bulk and have a better rapport with the distributors. I simply place an order through the dance store. This way, if I have a problem with an order, the dance store takes ownership to make it right, and I don't 'sweat' about it. Since they order much more than I do, their voice catches more ears than mine!

Bottom line is - I agree with voicing your opinion to boycott, but it is much more effective if you let DD know why you are upset, and get your local dance stores involved as well.

Just my 2 cents!

There was no Mens/Boys page in the Discount dance catalog I received. So i plan on boycotting DDS.

Are you referring to their print Fall 2009 catalogue? Men & boyswear is on page 20.

There is a men's section in the latest one I received also. Could it be that they are doing what many other catalogs have done and are sending out smaller "new items" catalogs and you received that one?

I threw it away, maybe the page was missing?

I usually order through a local dance store. ... This way, if I have a problem with an order, the dance store takes ownership to make it right, and I don't 'sweat' about it. ...

I mostly buy online now that I've found some items I like and can order with confidence. But I always get shoes and dance belts through the local store - those are items where the fit is critical, and I can try on or measure respectively before I even take them home. Very reassuring!

To put a close to any speculation on this issue and also any need to look for a boycott. :grinning: I received two Discount Dance Catalogs in the mail today. One is a copy of the larger Fall 2009 catalog which very much has the Men's dancewear on page 20 as outline above as well as men's shoes throughout. This catalog is 130 pages or so.

However, I also received a much smaller Fall 2009 supplement (54 pages) which does not contain Men's Dancewear and is probably the one that MJ received.

No boycotts are in order since the Fall supplement contains new items (and a very few old) that came out since the original Fall booklet was issued. Men's shoes are listed in both catalogs just the old dancewear page. In addition, there are several pictures of unisex type dancewear (unitards and such) that now show men wearing them that didn't in the past.

Case solved!

Aha! It was about 30 pages. I guess I did not receive the full fall catalog. To be honest I have not ordered out of a catalog in a year or two. My tights last forever and t shirts are abundant.

Boycotts are often counterproductive to the general goal of inclusion. It is better to be a "valued customer" and send a letter of concern to the powers who concoct the catalogues, and letting them know that there is an item of dissatisfaction with the presentation. Snail-mail letters have so much more weight than phone calls or even e-mails.

• 1 month later...

True about the letter. If you do not get the response with the letter send another with a CC (carbon copy - old term) note at the bottom of the letter showing that you sent the copy to the boss of the person you are writing to. Write and rewrite the letter. Spell-check is not enough. Hostility does not help.

Ken-we've already determined that the original poster was looking at a supplemental catalog and not the full catalog. So there is not reason for concern about the lack of men's dancewear. The company continues to carry men's wear as it always has. Since we've solved this issue, I will close this thread so that it doesn't continue to get bumped up.