Ballet Talk for Dancers
Sign in to follow this  
mom of 5

Ballet schools in Virginia - Virginia Beach area

mom of 5

I'm looking for a vaganova ballet school in the VA Beach area. My daughter is only 10, but has been training at Bossov in ME for 3 years. She is quite determined to become a professional ballet dancer. Unfortunatly, my husband has received orders to Oceana Naval Base and we will need to move. Are there any schools in VA that will allow her to keep up her training. I am hoping to find one that offers the same quality as Bossov.

in transit

The Eastern Virginia School for the Performing Arts was recommended to us as providing very good instruction in the area - here are some threads that mention it:

http://dancers.invisionzone.com/index.php?...c=40975&hl=

http://dancers.invisionzone.com/index.php?...c=35468&hl=

And here's a link to the school's website: http://www.evspa.org/

It would be a very challenging commute, though, since the studio is in Williamsburg. Hoping you find something that fits what you're looking for. :yes:

Edited by in transit

blueskies

My daughter did a summer SI at Ballet Virginia International in Norfolk. We were very pleased with the instruction. We live too far away to attend or we would this fall. My dd will be attending Richmond Ballet school instead as it is a closer drive for us. But I'd definitely check out BVI if I lived on the southside. Here is the website: http://balletvirginia.org/

mom of 5

Thanks for the help- we already drive an hour to her classes, so distance isn't a problem. I'll look into the schools suggested. Let me know if anyone can think of some others!

blueskies

Distance might not be a problem but the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel is... :pinch:

Meggerina

i'd definitely reccomend BVI as stated above. I'm planning to attend the school next year, the training there is amazing, though not vaganova based. If you're looking for vaganova based, Academie de Ballet (academiedeballet.com) is a great choice, just understand that it is a christian studio and there's not as many opportunities there are at Ballet Vriginia.

tatlet

Mom of 5 - First of all welcome to BT4D and to Virginia Beach!

While I think you will enjoy living in the area, unfortunately I don't think you will find training of the same quality as Bossov. That is not to say that you don't have some decent options available to you and your dd, just not of the same caliber.

I think you have been given the information on your best options here, EVSPA and BVI. Another school you might want to look into is Todd Rosenlieb Dance in Norfolk (www.trdance.org). They recently joined forces with what's left of our regional company (the former Virginia Ballet Theater) and are now working on building a training program for young dancers. They have also worked closely with Richmond Ballet in the past and will be working with them again to present The Nutcracker in Norfolk. I'm not sure when you are moving, but they are holding Nutcracker auditions in late September.

Also, if your dd is interested in any other type of classes, specifically jazz or tap, I'd definitely recommend Denise Wall's Dance Energy in Va. Beach. Not the best for classical ballet, but definitely the best for all other forms of dance.

Best of luck to you and your dd!

Hattie

Hello :D

I'm Moving to Norfolk Virginia, from England. I've never been to america before.

I started dance when i was 13. After 4 months i passed my grade 3 rad exam and started grade 4 and intermedite on pointe.

I'm now 14 and should be moving in about a year and a half.

Do you know any Good Ballet schools in/near Norfolk VA?

Thanks H x

Balletbun

Ballet Virginia International

www.Balletvirginia.org

There are several different programs to meet each dancers needs as well as lots of performing opportunities. Check out the website.

superchauffer

www.evspa.org

The Eastern Virginia School for the Performing Arts is another option. It's in Williamsburg and therefore a little longer drive, but we found it to be worth every minute for the training.

learningdance

Ballet Virginia is really a strong program in Norfolk/VA Beach. The program in Williamsburg is also very nice but absolutely not doable with the tunnel traffic (You will learn all about this). It's about 1 hour with out traffic and people have literally been held up in the tunnel for 2-5 hours.

DD took a private from Pat Sorrell who is at BVI and who teaches at the summer program at CPYB. She was impressive and in Virginia BVI is a very solid pre-pro school.

cfdancer

Mom of 5,

I dance at Academie De Ballet and I went to Bossov this past summer so I can compare how similar they are. I love Acedemie De Ballet and the teachers are great! Andrei Yemelianov is awesome and his teaching style is similar to Andrei Bossov. Their ballet program is strong but their other classes are awesome as well. I love taking jazz, contemporary, lyrical, and musical theatre. Where is your daughter dancing now? I hope she found a good school and is enjoying dance!

superchauffer

Learningdance, I would beg to differ about Williamsburg being "absolutely not doable". I know several people who made that trip for years. :( Everyone's circumstances are different, however. I think good training can be found closer as well.

TeaTime

The HRBT might not be "absolutely not doable" but it would make me think twice. I live north of the tunnel and it's the main thing that keeps me from venturing to Norfolk more often for classes at Todd's (which would be my suggestion on a school in the area). I am eternally thankful that it's not part of my regular daily commute. Certain times of day its fine, but anywhere near rush hour, forget it.

learningdance

I understand that there are differences of opinion about the traffic situation and I am probably unusually averse to that.

Some families are open to that commute.

But for someone who is interested in an opinion about schools in that area. I would say, "There are so many very strong schools on the Norfolk/Va Beach Side that it would be my suggestion to spend more time training and (relaxing) and less time traveling either of the tunnels (M&M or HRBT). IMO the cost of traveling is not worth the benefits because it is not like Va Beach/Norfolk is a rural or remote area with no other options."

:thumbsup: