Ballet Talk for Dancers

Study in Russia?

napnap

Congratulations pj!

It's great news to hear your dd is well again and fantastic news for her continued training in Moscow :)

hushinfazen

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pj

• napnap

• mjl27

• vrsfanatic

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations pj! An honor indeed for your hardworking dd! Best of luck to you all and keep us posted on her experience!

mydarlindancer

pj, this is very good news. So glad that your DD has recovered from her setback as well as having the distinctive invitation to the Bolshoi. Having the exposure to so many things 'Russian" as she has had recently does really put her into place for an easier transition than for most, in those regards. When even the health insurance part of your scenario falls into place as easily as it did, one must have to feel that this is the right move! ;o)

Best of luck to her and congratubolshoilations to you both!!

It is heartening to see how much moral support we are getting. We will keep everyone informed as things progress. Keep thinking positive thoughts, especially in regards to her health -- this condition is very tricky to treat, but she just got an additional medication that seems to be balancing things out much better than before and things seem to be falling into place. She is getting lots of support from the students already in Russia and this is such a boost!

Thanks everyone for all of your good wishes!

PJ congratulations to you and yours.

Napnap, Once upon a time I mused about DD training in Russia.

One of the schools I briefly looked at was was the Perm Ballet School. What impressed me most was that they provided 4 meals a day. That's a lot more than what Vaganova says on their site. At that time Perm was $10,000 now the price is listed in Euros so an interrested person would need to convert that amount or found out what or if they want in USD. They admitt students as young as 13 but may make exceptions. The four meal thing just really made me think that they would be nurturing. Ultimately I wasn't comfortable with DD living out of the country and her training then was quality Russian training.

pj: Congratulations to you and your DD. How wonderful that her health is better and that she will be able to go to Moscow! It sounds like you have thought this out and have a very solid plan in place to support her in this move. We are seriously considering allowing our DD to attend the Bolshoi Academy as well but we are taking our time before making any final decisions. Our preference would be to wait until next fall so she could have time to study Russian and have a better understanding of the language. One of the girls she trains with here at home is Russian-American and her family can help my DD with her language studies. Perhaps once your DD gets to Moscow you could update us with her thoughts about the program. We'd also be curious to hear any information about the studios, food and living arrangements. Thank you so much and best of luck to you and your DD as you prepare for her upcoming move.

vicarious: According to the Bolshoi Academy website they serve 4 meals a day which also struck me as very nurturing. My DD, who is always starving after class, think it sounds great. Lol! I'll be curious to hear about the quantity and type of food.

You certainly seem to have the support needed to make her successful in Russia. I congratulate her on her accomplishment and overcoming her illness!!! I wish you all the luck in the world. Keep us posted as to how her experience is going while in Russia. I would appreciate learning from you! Meanwhile, DD will begin to take Russian language classes as part of her homeschooling and hope she will be offered an invitation to study at the Bolshoi again when she is older!

Do you have any recommendations on what program my DD should be studying (i.e., Rosetta Stone, etc.)?

DD did a very unstructured study of the language from several sources, but most of her competence came from speaking and listening to Russian speakers and then teaching herself the cyrilic alphabet. She often makes little spelling errors and word ending errors still, but listens and applies corrections similar to listening to corrections for ballet. I've never invested in a Rosetta Stone language program, but have heard from others that have used Rosetta Stone that the program is the most well-rounded approach for language (not specifically Russian) learning.

• 3 weeks later...

Just venting here: :(

The process of obtaining a visa for study in Russia is beyond daunting to say the least. If your child is planning on studying in Russia, be sure you have a person familiar with the Russian visa process to help you navigate through the maze of Russian and American regulations. Lots and lots of paperwork, lots and lots of waiting.

When we actually complete the process successfully, I will be incredibly relieved.

Oh, and don't make travel arrangements until you know the timing of the receipt of the "official invitation," which is the pacing item in all of this -- e-mail invitations are not official.

Everyone please think positive thoughts for our family as we continue to pursue our daughter's student visa -- we hope to get on a plane on Oct. 9 and it may take several miracles for that to happen!

Does anyone know of a kind-hearted Russian government official that I might bribe? :) (and I am ALMOST not kidding).

:sweating:

pj: I don't blame you for venting! What a frustrating situation. I'm sending positive thoughts your way that you see a speedy resolution to your DD's quest for her student visa. I am very grateful that you are continuing to post about your experiences since we may be following in your footsteps in a few months. Any and all information you share is greatly appreciated. Thanks and we'll keep our fingers crossed for you that you make it on that plane!

The visa situation to enter Russia as a tourist or for business can be daunting at times. As a students things are more complex for sure. Not living in an area with easy access to the consultate For my visit I have opted to use one of the agencies recommended by the Russian consulate. Have you consulted with one of the agencies listed on the consulate website? I am not sure if they assist with student visas anymore but they used to do so. There are quite a few documents to fill out, but there always is with a visa application.

Once the letter of invitation arrives, the process should be a bit easier. It may take a bit of time., but with everything in order time is the only factor.

At this point in the process, the actual problem lies in the regulations and rules that the Russian Consulate has, the procedure that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Moscow follows, and the requirements by the U.S. Government -- everything takes more time than expected. Even though we immediately accepted the invitation that came by e-mail about 6 weeks ago, the official invitation that is issued by the school, through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, will not be ready until next week, and then we must wait for it to be physically delivered to our home. It is only then that we can apply for the visa through our closest Russian Consulate, which is one day away by FedEx. Up until April 9 of this year, from what I understand, visas were routinely expedited for an extra fee -- this is no longer the case. The turn-around time has been switched to a 6-day process, that can only be expedited by a person in high places who is willing to make a telephone call to the person in the Consulate that controls the processing of the visas. It is very important that a student visa is the one applied for as there is no other type of visa that is allowable for a person who will be in Russia for the length of time set for the school year. You cannot even come into the country with a tourist visa and then apply for a conversion to a student visa -- it simply is not allowed.

We do have a Russian visa services corporation that is assisting with all of the requirements, but there are a large number of legal requirments and a large number of documents that are required. In addition to this, the school has yet another list of requirements that go above and beyond the visa requirments. And then, just about everything must be translated into Russian and many documents have to be notarized and placed on file with the appropriate government (U.S.) agencies.

We have also run into a problem with the contract date that was issued by the school -- with that contract date set, the contract, along with the official invitation, does not get sent until there is just no way to get everything accomplished in time to get a visa to get into Russia in order to begin classes on the date set by the contract. If there were no such thing as the internet, dd would not be able to get into the country until January, for an October 15 contract start date. I feel a bit like a salmon who is swimming upstream.

While we are waiting for the invitation to be delivered, we have been gathering all of the other documents and are having things notarized, filed, translated, and copied, and arranging for wire transfer of funds so that all of the required documentation is totally in order before we can actually FedEx the completed package to the Russian Consulate. I am so thankful that we are connected with the company who understands the process. I cannot even imagine doing this without someone to consult. We are also lucky that this same company is the one that provides the translation, notarization and legal filing services. It is fairly expensive, running in the $2500 range for the entire service (at least that is my estimate at this point).

Yes, the visa requirements and processing did change in April 2009. It took about three months to receive my business invitation. I am not through the process yet, but I have until December 2009 to work out the visa process.

Just look at your process as being the first in your experience in dealing with an education in a foreign country. Many things are and will be different. :3dnod: