Ballet Talk for Dancers

Momentum and Turns

BalletMac

I have lately been completing solid doubles and and occasional triples and have therefore been pleased with my progress. But, just as last week it seems that when I put more force into the preparation I end up throwing my self out of the turn with the increased momentum. I can lower the momentum and end in a balance so I don't think I am falling out of the turn because of my balance, but any help is appreciated.

BalletMac

Just turn, don't try to kill it! You're knocking yourself off balance by spiralling the body, rather than containing it. Believe me, you'll do much better by pushing down into the floor in order to go up than you will by letting the arms lead the turn. You have to use them, yes, but everything must be coordinated.

Thanks Mr. Johnson! I will be sure to make sure that I puss down into the floor next class instead of trying to turn solely from my arms.

BalletMac

Mr. Johnson,

I just got back from class and the advice really helped. I had more consistent triples tonight than I did before I started killing the turns.

BalletMac

I'm so glad to hear that, Mac! :)

Keep it up, and you'll discover that there really isn't much difficulty to turns. They are just kinds of steps that turn on one leg. That's the only "trick" to them. They are what they appear to be.