Ballet Talk for Dancers

Too much?

L' Allegro

I have the opportunity to be in a musical, as part of the non-singing dance ensemble. However, my training schedule is already six+hrs Mon- Sat, and the rehearsals for the other production would be on my one day off... should I turn it down?

Thanks.

• Administrators

Is your training schedule 6+ hours a day or a week?

• Administrators

Okay, that makes a huge difference in terms of my response. If it was weekly, I would say no problem, do the show. But with 5 or 6 hours a day, maybe not. That is something you will need to decide for yourself, in terms of your ability to deal with 7 days a week for a while, and in terms of how much you want to do the show! :)

Well I'm really out of shape right now and just getting back into the swing of things... the reason I'm concerned is that I'm thinking about what my mom would say if she heard ME say, "I'm going to dance umpteen hours a week AND be in a musical!" She would totally not go for it. Another thing I was thinking was that I do tend to over estimate my own abilities, so maybe I'm just going to have to say no... I would give up a day of classes at my school so I could do the show, but I don't think that's an option :)

• Administrators

That's okay. Only you can know your capabilities in terms of energy level and time committments right now. Sometimes we have to make hard choices. :)

I personally would do the show! That is of course, if your body can handle it, and you don't mind having a completely booked week. It'll be hard on your body, yes, but the payoff will be amazing! One last thing is, if you decide not to do the show, don't go see it. You'll regret not doing it and wish you were on stage.