Ballet Talk for Dancers
Momof3darlings

A young dancer taken in her prime

lovemydancers

The Today Show ran a story about Elena and the doctor who hit her this morning. They also interviewed three of her fellow dancers from Carolina Ballet (two of whom also attended UNCSA with her) and showed clips of Elena dancing at UNCSA during her senior year.

flballetmom

I saw it on The Today Show this morning too, and it is really so sad and such a loss. A beautiful young girl to be taken this way is so tragic. As a mother of a young dancer, I know too well how much of her life was dedicated to pursuing a dance career and to have it all taken away is just terrible. Ironically, the driver was a plastic surgeon who helped those injured in car accidents, how could he have been so careless?? I thought it was really nice of the Today Show to take the time to show the clips of her dancing as well as talk to fellow company members. :(

trythis

I saw that clip on the Today show. This story breaks my heart. The Dr has turned in his medical license and faces homicide charges. The report said that he used to volunteer to do plastic surgery on victims of car accidents. He, more than anyone, should know what a drunk driver could cause. This has been my soap box since I was in high school. Accidents by drunk drivers are never intentional, and the drunk driver will usually have all kinds of people saying what a great person they are. But when you drink and get behind the wheel of a car you are assuming the intent to do harm to others. That is what the laws have been put in place for. So for all the young people on this board. Please do not ever do this. Some things cannot be undone and lives can be changed forever.

My deepest sympathies go out to Elena's family and friends.

yankee

Thank you for reinforcing this message trythis. My eldest son lost a friend in exactly the same way and it has been a painful few years since then. This particular situation is horribly ironic and I pray not only for the Shapiro family and their friends, but for the entire Carolina Ballet organization which has also been struck by the depths of grief.

2dancing

Thank you lovemydancers for that link. I did not see Today this morning. My dd attends NCSA and the mood there has been very sad. This is such a tragedy and just shows how one decision can have such far reaching consequences.

its the mom

Thanks for posting this. Elena truly was aptly named. She was a bright light. She was respectful and kind to all, which is not always the case with young dancers. I remember the year she was in Boston, she dealt with a foot injury and she was a model of perseverance and diligence. She was beautiful to watch on stage, as all can see from the footage. It's heartbreaking.

jmh4

That is so true. It is exactly how I remember her. She had a light which shone from within.

mydarlindancer

It is so difficult to wrap my mind about this. It is just so much for one family. I remember praying for her brother's recovery after the senseless thing that he endured. Any of us parents reading this cannot help but be shocked and upset and just wanting to take this tragedy away from those who loved Elena.

I pray that anyone touched by her story and death might use it to help others in preventing driving while intoxicated.

She leaves a lovely legacy for her young age, as so many have commented on her beautiful heart and personality. Sadly, we cannot erase what has happened, but Elena's spirit will live on for all who were privileged to know her.

dancemaven

I have removed a post providing information regarding a scholarship fund in memory of Ms. Shapiro only in keeping with Board policy regarding solicitations and not for any improper request.

The information regarding the memorial scholarship fund should be available by contacting University of North Carolina School of the Arts/Dance.

My heart and prayers go out to her family and friends. No one should have to shoulder so much sorrow.

mirabray

Deepest condolences to her family.

lgmg11

As a parent, my heart aches for Elena's family and friends. How very, very sad.

Beautiful Disaster
Thank you for reinforcing this message trythis. My eldest son lost a friend in exactly the same way and it has been a painful few years since then. This particular situation is horribly ironic and I pray not only for the Shapiro family and their friends, but for the entire Carolina Ballet organization which has also been struck by the depths of grief.

This isn't the first time either. Two years ago they also suffered a tragedy when Jenn Jansma, 22, passed away from throat cancer. I danced with her prior to her time at Carolina Ballet. She passed away less than a year after finding out she had cancer, and exactly two months before her 23rd birthday. Quite a few of them had a really hard time with her passing, so I'm sure this hit them even harder.

-BD

Clara 76

Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers, Beautiful Disaster. I'm so sorry for the losses Carolina Ballet and you have suffered.

I'm glad you found us though. This is a great community here and I'm sure you will find it to be supportive.

Beautiful Disaster

Thank you Clara. I'm very happy to be here.