Ballet Talk for Dancers

Quads

Guest star dancer

Guest star dancer

I actually have two questions concerning the quad muscles.

In my gym class we are doing a weight lifting unit. I had to do leg extensions. Our teacher had told us that this exercise should work the quad muscles. When I went to do it I did not feel my quad muscles working. I felt more the inside of my legs working. In fact I could only do a few repetitions because this muscle felt so weak. Could I have been doing the exersise wrong. Or, does the Quad muscle almost wrap around the front side of the leg? Or, is it possible that I am wrong about where the quad muscle is? I always thought it was more towards the outside of the leg than the inside. I apologize that this question is not directly related to baller, but my next question is.

When you do developes (I am sorry that my spelling is horrible) to the front or even the side, are you supposed to use the quad muscle to do this? I know that I do that and it just does not seem like it could be the correct way, because I have a real problem with my extension. I have a very hard time holding my extensions higher than ninety degrees for almost any amount of time.

• Administrators

Hello star dancer, welcome to Ballet Alert! Online, and especially to the Young Dancers' forum!

The quad muscles are a large group of muscles, 4 muscle groups actually, that encompass the whole front of the thigh area. It sounds like you are feeling the Sartorious muscle more than the quads, which probably should not be happening in the type of weight work you are doing. Check with the teacher to be sure you are doing it correctly.

In terms of extensions to the front and side, while the quads have to work at the top of the extensions, in order to hold them there, it is best to try and feel more work from the hamstrings in terms of getting the leg there in the first place. Try to feel that the energy is coming from underneath the legs, like in a big circle from over the head and behind the body, under the leg, and up to the top of the head. Sort of like a ferris wheel in reverse :) Breathing helps with this. Take a breath before the extension, and then exhale as you do the extension. This helps you to feel the energy pattern and the work of the hamstrings, and less work with the quads.

Guest pdance

I'm sorry if I am out of line in answering this question, and feel free Ms. Leigh or Major Mel to delete this post, but it is interesting that you asked that second question, star dancer, as the guest choreographer/teacher working with us right now just talked with me about that on Monday. Concerning holding the leg in the air in develope devant or seconde, he said that in addition to feeling the energy from underneath, as Ms. Leigh said, you should also support yourself and hold your leg from the buttocks of the suppoting leg. For example, if you develope side with your right leg, you should tighten and hold under your left butt instead of gripping your quad. That seems to be sort of a way of thinking of supporting from underneath. Does that make sense? I was having a hard time holding my extension to the side for some reason on Monday, and as I have applied that correction throughout this week, it has helped a lot. Try it and see! :) There's my two cents. And welcome to BalletTalk!

Guest star dancer

Thank you all for your advice. I am going to try it tonight in my technique class. I am also going to ask my gym teacher to watch me do the leg extentions, to let me know if I am doing them right. Thanks again for the advice

I think Christa and Ms. Leigh and I are in the same church, just not the same pew. ;) The explanation Christa has given may be a pragmatic, practical explanation of what helps to support extension, and if it works for some people, fine, but I'd hesitate to think of anything actually tightening, even though it might be, and continue to think lifted up! When somebody says, "tighten", all of us have a tendency to slump down and sit somewhat into the supporting leg, which isn't good! Here you've got another example of something falling in order to make something else rise, but it's more like a circulation of energy, rather than taking a position and not budging!:)

Guest pdance

Yes, I think you're right, Major Mel. I tried it again in class tonight at the barre, and I realized that while it helped me not use my quad so much, it did make me feel like I was gripping. Maybe I can find a happy medium. I think if I THINK more of holding from underneath, rather than actually gripping for my life, I might find middle ground. :)