Ballet Talk for Dancers

Ballet Slippers

balletadmirer

hello i am new to the forums. My daughter is just coming upto three and has been doing a ballet and tap class for a few months now. It is just a 30 minute class but gives her the opportunity to mix with children her age and dance. She enjoys it from what I understand as we parents are not allowed into the lesson usually ecept the last one when we see a session of what they do. I have seen two of these as they are usually done termly and she loves it and is laughing happy smiling and completely engrossed. my problem today is ballet slippers. Her first pair she got from the dance school no trouble. However her feet have gone up 2 shoe sizes in the summer so we know they are too small. I cannot get her to sit down and try on shoes so I can order her a new pair have tried for the last 3 weeks and it ends in tantrums and tears. Now she hates trying on any kind of shoe even in a shoe shopping trip they are absolute nightmares. The dance studio have said she can wear socks and ordinary shoes for now. The school uses freed of london where can I order her a pair online? I would like a dance catalogue company that has a decent rep. We are in the united kingdom. The studio told me she needs a size 9 in uk sizes and her teacher said that was for freed she said I will need to check for fit when I get them.

• Administrators

Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers, balletadmirer. :o

I am afraid that if your daughter really likes to dance, then she needs to understand that in order to do that she has to have shoes, and they have to fit. If not, no dance. It sounds simple, I know, but, if you cave to the tantrums and she gets her way on this, you are in trouble. Never too early to teach them that if they want something they might be able to have it, but there are conditions. In this case, it's ballet, and the ballet school requires ballet shoes. Period, end of discussion. We don't go back to class until you have shoes that fit.

Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers, balletadmirer. :)

I am afraid that if your daughter really likes to dance, then she needs to understand that in order to do that she has to have shoes, and they have to fit. If not, no dance. It sounds simple, I know, but, if you cave to the tantrums and she gets her way on this, you are in trouble. Never too early to teach them that if they want something they might be able to have it, but there are conditions. In this case, it's ballet, and the ballet school requires ballet shoes. Period, end of discussion. We don't go back to class until you have shoes that fit.

Victoria thank you for your reply and I do understand what it is that you are saying. I also agree with what you say however, that isn't my problem, dd will wear the slippers in class, she has had a pair which she simply has outgrown. In fact she quite often is seen trying to wear them at home! The number of times I have had to rescue her old pair. My problem is just with getting her measured and trying on pairs for new ones I know once she has them she will wear them no trouble. Which is why I thought I might try to get them online with a guideline for what kind to get. When we do ordinary shoe shopping I have the same trouble but once I have them she will wear those without difficulty. I can tell you that on the occasions when we do get them the shop assistants in the shop say she has narrow to medium feet in a uk size thats a width of D/E unfortunately I do not know what that is in US width. Her school does do a classical ballet class but it does not start untill they are five years old likewise with the exams and hopefully by then I will know if she is considering this on a long term basis but for now I think it is to early and am aware that it may just be a fleeting fancy on my part.

• Administrators

I stick with what I said. If she won't get fitted, she doesn't get shoes, then she cannot go to ballet. The old shoes should be gone, permanently. It is dangerous to wear shoes that are too small. Who's in charge here, Mum? :)

Yes otherwise she will walk all over me I do realise this. Yes the old shoes are gone. She cannot wear them in class anymore and I am not happy about her doing it in socks and ordinary shoes either! Hence what has led me to looking for advice on the subject. It was the studio who said socks and shoes. I myself would have physically made her try the shoe on! (Has in putting it on her foot!) Tantrum or no tantrum. Which is something that is making me now question the dance studio. Other than this I have been happy up until now. But she did only start in January. Come saturday morning I will say we go to dancing if she gets new shoes and if she does not sit and try them on when we get there it is more than likely I will pick her up and go home have done that before.

• Administrators

Good. That is what has to be done. I agree with you about the school allowing her to take in regular shoes. NOT a good idea at all. Actually, I kind of a question a school taking two year olds at all. I would not start a child even in creative movment before around 4, and pre-ballet around 5. They simply do not have enough coordination at 2 years old, and IMO, even 3, to really gain anything from the training. Starting that young also makes too many years before they actually get to ballet, or real ballet training, and they can burn out very quickly the creative and pre years. One year of creative, one year of pre-ballet, and hopefully they will be 6 or 7 and ready to begin learning to stand correctly and start turning out their legs.

[by the way, if you click on FastReply or AddReply, instead of "Reply, then the quote of the previous post will not show up in your response.]

My school takes children from 2 years old, we use the RAD's pre-school dance curriculum and it is totally suitable for that age group. I am quite strict in the classes (in that I don't let children run around when they shouldn't be) but I don't actually expect anything technical of them. The movements we do include walking, running, crawling, pony galops etc. If they can't manage to do something correctly it's not an issue, they are just getting used to a class environment, trying to improve their physical skills and having fun.

As for the issue of wearing normal shoes in class, I personally prefer children to have bare feet for the first class and then they get ballet shoes - if a child was having the difficulties your child is having I would probably suggest bare feet again but encourage the parent to keep trying as it isn't a long term solution. It's very difficult reasoning with a 3 year old and it's certainly the parents choice as to how to deal with it, I wouldn't be concerned with the school because of what they said.

Hello CDR

My dd class is similiar to what you have described. They do marching, skipping, pony gallops, musical statutes pointing of toes and the arm postions but she doesnt call them by their technical names which I think is due to the age of the children more than anything else. The syllabus I believe is based on ISTD and the owner is there every week and was a dancer herself with experience in companies she does say in the prospectus but cannot remember of the top of my head as to which one. The end of term lesson we see is simply that a lesson with nothing fancy added and they do one performance show every two years. Classical ballet at the studio starts at age five and I was told when I booked her in originally to try her with this as she was not ready for classical ballet.

It is heart wrenching to be honest I know she loves to dance I see her doing the movement of walking and pointing and dancing around the house daily but at the same time I know I have to rise to the challenge and not give in to the tantrums otherwise they do not stop. If I was in a shop and she threw a strop she would not get what she wanted and she knows that so why should dancing be different?

Sam7 she wears tap shoes for tap but these are also too small. She needs a whole new set. The silly thing about this is that I know she will keep them on in class and will probably have trouble getting them off her once she has them. It is literally just the trying them on that is a battle. Think I will stick with my guns and see what that gets me on saturday morning. Will need daddy to stay home though, he always gives in to her, I however DO NOT!

Have you tried making a game or fantasy out of the shoe-trying-on? Engage her imagination. She can be Cinderella and needs to find the 'magic' shoe for dance. Could it be this one? no. . . , how about this one? no, well, perhaps THIS is the magic shoe! Perhaps she'd even like to dress up as Cinderella for the adventure. (My girls and I often had 'adventurers!').

Maybe her 'little piggies' need a new home to take with them to dance class? How do the little piggies like this one? Too cramped?, well, how about this one? Is there room for all the little piggies to play and wiggle in this new shoe-house?

Two-year olds can be stubborn and it is often very hard to reason with them. So, you need to out-smart them! :shrug: The more you can turn it into a game or story, the easier she will slip into it. That admonition is soooo helpful: Pick your battles. So to the extent possible, diffuse the situation so as NOT to create a battle.

Also, although you're probably dreading it, try to sound excited about the fact that she's going to have lovely new shiny shoes and how smart and pretty she will look when she's got them! Good luck.