Ballet Talk for Dancers

An offer I can't refuse...I think...

Nutmegdancer

My friend has offered to stretch my feet everyday before class for a few minutes :thumbsup: , and my question is, how long will it be before I see any progress with my feet? I'm going to be honest, because I'm extremely critical of myself, my feet are bad, :blushing: although they have improved slightly over the last couple of years, it's certainly not good enough. This is really the worst thing about myself, and I have always been disgusted and frustrated with my feet :innocent: ...now I'm venting so I'll get back to my question, is that the fastest and most effective way to stretch my feet? Will I see progress by November/December? Or is there a better way?

Nutmegdancer :)

Guest Matti18

Hi Nutmegdancer, until the mods can answer your question, which should be soon :unsure: I just wanted to say don't worry, it's hard sometimes not to look at yourself and see the bad points but having one thing that needs work is not the end of the world. Just make sure that you're dancing from the heart and you'll be great, even if you have 'bad' feet! And be patient, improvements sometimes take time, believe me! :lol:

Matti

Matti18 thank you for respecting our rules regarding answering questions on the YD Forum and your encouraging words to Nutmegdancer.

Nutmegdancer, unfortunately I do not think, although I may be wrong, that there is any evidence that having a friend stretch your feet can actually contribute to making feet better. As a matter of fact, I would not encourage anyone else stretching a student. Good teaching, diligent work by the student and the physical ability to have good feet are the key ingredience. One can improve one's feet however beautifully arched feet are first and foremost, genetic I am afraid.

As for feeling inadequate in certain areas of techincal development, this is very common. Keep working in a positive manner and everyday remember also the wonderful things that help to make you, you. :unsure: It does take practice to rise above our fears, but if you say 2 nice things to yourself for every bad thought you have about yourself, the good can often win!

One can improve one's feet however beautifully arched feet are first and foremost, genetic I am afraid.

That's what I was afraid of :unsure: thank you for answering my question.

Nutmegdancer

hi Matti18 and Nutmegdancer,

forgive my ignorance, but what is "stretching your feet"?

I've not heard this before?

Guest Matti18

Ellen

Again, not sure I'm the best person to answer (you may get better results from asking this question in the nutrition/health or pointe shoe topics forum) I can't really answer the question without saying something that breaks the rules of the YD forum (gives advice) but simply put stretching feet as I understand it is working on isolating individual muscles of the foot and toes, and doing different exercises to strenghen and work them, quite often they are things you will do in ballet class and will be shown/suggested to you by your teacher as he/she is the one who sees your feet and dancing every class and can let you know if anything needs work outside of regular class :thumbsup:

Nutmegdancer

Just thought I'd share something that happened to me in class the other day, we were working on plies right at the start of barre. I have always thought I have terrible turnout, my second seems to be next to my devant :innocent: but after class my friend came up to me and mentioned how I had a lovely grande plie and great turnout :blushing: apart from making me feel quite special :lol: it made me think that maybe I was being too hard on myself! Often we are our own worst critics, you may think that you have bad feet and there isn't much you can do about it, but someone could be watching you and thinking I wish I had feet like that, it's always best to be positive and enjoy yourself, it will show in your dancing and people will then enjoy watching you. Hope this doesn't sound too peppy, but I understand how hard it is to think something is 'not as good as it could be' and I wanted to share something that helped for me :)

• Administrators

Yes, Ellen, Matti is right. You are stretching your feet every time that you do a tendu, a dégagé, a pas de cheval, or anything and everything else that you do at the barre.....IF you are working them while you do these exercises. Your teacher needs to teach you HOW to stretch your feet by USING them really well at the barre. There are also other exercises one can do to help them, like Theraband work. Again, these things need to be taught to beginning students.