Ballet Talk for Dancers

Bulky neck?

DeadPointeShoes

For as long as I can remember the tension and concentration when I dance would end up effecting my neck and shoulders, and now it's really showing. :) My neck is ripped! The muscles bulge out in any step I do and I think it looks disgusting. Is there any way for me to get rid of the muscle build up there? Or at least some tips to help relax my upper body in class?

(Sorry if this is in the wrong forum or has been asked already. I'm new at this posting thing lol)

Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers, Deadpointeshoes.

I've moved your post from Health and Nutrition into Young Dancers (17-22) because this isa technique question, not a medical problem. Our Teacher Moderators will advise you.

Oh my. This bulkiness is the effect of years and years of straining the upper muscles while working the legs and arms, etc. as a sort of "sympathetic vibration". It's common, and has to be consciously worked against, because what you get is an isometric building of the muscles against one another until they hypertrophy (bulge). In modern dance terms, what you need to do is isolate the muscle groups. Just because one works hard doesn't mean that any other has to work AT ALL, even! In the meantime, you can minimize the neck muscles by stretching them out during class, or even out of it. Neck rolls are unobtrusive and can be done even while sitting down. Massage may be indicated for especially hard muscles.

I try to massage my neck every night before I go to bed, but I really do need to stretch it more. I'll use isolating my upper body from legs as my goal this month =)

thank you!

Self-massage is always a good thing, but in this case, I think you may want to contact a licensed massage therapist for some work, and also to show you how to do it!

• Administrators

Thank you for reading the rules, BD. Your post was removed mainly because the Young Dancer Forums are age specific, so, on this one, no one over 22. :)

DPS-

It sounds to me as if you may also have an alignment issue which contributes heavily to the need to tense. See a Yoga or Pilates expert and have them check your alignment. See if they can offer you release exercises as well.