Ballet Talk for Dancers

Straddle Splits and Turnout

Guest Matti18

Guest Matti18

Well, I was searching for information about using straddle splits to increase turnout, as my splits are awful =/ and found a interesting thread. However on this particular thread Major Mel mentioned "hypoextended hips" and I was wondering what exactly this is? I have always had fairly inflexible hips and although my turnout is good I sometimes get a cramping sensation in my hips if I go 'too far'. So, to sum up, what are hypoextended hips and how can dancing be affected. Sorry if this is in the wrong place, perhaps it is more health, but I'm looking for help with technique so not really sure where to put it :wink:

"Hypoextended hips" are hips which reach full, but short, travel on one or more axes because the bones nudge up against one another. This is not to be confused with "tight hips" which is a matter of soft tissue. Tight hips respond to stretching and manipulation, hypoextension requires surgery, if it's bad enough. It's more like being "bone-bound" instead of "muscle-bound". True hypoextension is relatively rare, especially if you compare it to its opposite number, hypERextension. Hypoextension is anatomical, not technical.

• Administrators

Good question, ifnotwhynot, but, this is a YD forum, so, no parents allowed! :)

Guest Matti18

Thanks for the reply, I think I understand it better now. Hypoextension is bones tight is muscle, is there any way to tell which it is, or is seeing a physio my best bet?

Your very best bet would be an examination by an orthopedist, probably including X-rays, but the physical therapist might be a good start.