Ballet Talk for Dancers

Royal Ballet School--White Lodge

Viviangrace

We are re-considering RBS an an option for residential training.  Can anyone comment on the availability of scholarships (merit-based not financial need based) for international students? We would not meet financial need requirements likely, however the cost for international students is very expensive and not affordable for us.  

I noticed a few years ago RBS had a lengthy statement on their website basically questioning the value of competitions (if I recall correctly) and the lack of technical proficiency in students that excel in the competition arena.  However, I've noticed that RBS regularly recruits and offers full-time training spots to winners of some of these competitions. This seems rather contradictory to their statement regarding competitions to me.   Are those students recruited at the competitions receiving scholarship to attend the school? 

Any thoughts on this?  Just trying to figure out the best strategy - if that's even possible.  Thanks!

Phx115

If I remember correctly, it was noted that RBS would not be at YAGP this year. I'm not sure about all of the other competitions, though.

Adf

Viviangrace, their website states that means tested aid is available for Upper School and that 90% of students receive some support.  Recently they had a post about continuing students who received some awards.  Although specific dollar awards are not mentioned,since there are named philanthropic sponsors of the awards, I would assume there is some money associated.  

As for competitions, it seems like commitments were made in the past few years before they announced no more YAGP, so they now seem to be sourcing from their own auditions, still Prix de Lausanne, and a few others (also. RAD/formerly Genee now Margot Fonteyn at ROH 2020).  So I think those prior commitments are still be worked through the system, specifically I am thinking of those who were named as International Scholars.

Redbookish

Non-UK and non-EU citizens need to be aware that some financial aid in the UK is for UK citizens only, or for EU citizens only. Best to check with the RBS itself.

Viviangrace

Thanks everyone!

Chibikko
On 1/8/2020 at 7:54 PM, Viviangrace said:

Thanks everyone!

Were you able to find out anything? I am interested in learning more about scholarship for international students (both merit and financial based) 

Adf

They just had an interview with Christopher Powney as part of the Summer Intensive program.  They stressed that everyone should apply if they want, no matter their means. That they will find a way if you get accepted and their is financial need.  They said that has never gotten in the way.

For international students there is no government money available until you reside in the UK for 2 years.  They will go to their donors for sponsorships if there is financial need and the student is not eligible for government aid. No merit available that they mentioned.